Tutorials

Saxophones Antigua Pro-One Soprano

Mack

There can be only one...

Over the last few months I have sold all my saxes, the idea being to replace them with just one, which I will stick with. I have just received 'the one' - an Antigua Pro-One soprano - really nice condition from ebay. I decided that my playing would improve if I always picked up the same familiar horn and mouthpiece every time I play, as all the chopping and changing I have done over the years has surely not helped. Get a quality horn and mouthpiece, and just practice!

After a couple of days I can say that the Antigua is beautiful - much easier playing up in the palm keys, solid intonation and a warm characterful tone. It feels really solidly built, a very good looking horn. I get the feeling that it has a lot in reserve, which will reveal itself with practice. Really pleased with it. It is the Pete Ponzol design, and is in a completely different league to the S590 Antigua I used to have (and that was pretty good - best tuning of any soprano I had played, up until that point).

The other reason for selling everything else was to buy a bespoke mouthpiece from Joe Giudallo of Soprano Planet. I had a detailed email conversation with him, describing my horn, playing style, experience, whose sound I would most like to emulate - he says he will make a Missing Link mouthpiece that will be perfect for me. Can't wait for it to arrive - he said he should have it finished in 6 days. They are expensive, but then when you consider the money wasted in buying and selling mouthpieces over the years, I thought it would make sense to just have the right one made, and stick with it. Feels like being measured up for a suit - luxury!

Now, to cancel my ebay account and never, ever, look again...:optimistic:

OP
Mack

Mack

Joe just emailed to say its on its way - probably to be delayed for weeks, the way things are at the moment. ..:eek:

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
That sounds very sensible! I often have the feeling that I'm wasting a lot of energy battling against 4 variants and the best proof is that now I feel more comfortable with tenor I've lost the comfort zone I felt I had reached on Alto. Not to mention soprano and baritone that I play even less and often feel like they are running away from me to my greatest despair.

So I know I have too many horns and mouthpieces, but I'm also technically hooked on these horns, so every one of them I can get my hands on is an adventure and a learning curve.

In any case, I really admire your approach and find it very mature.

Good luck and mainly 'have fun' with that refined setup. I bet you will not be as frustrated as I often feel...

OP
Mack

Mack

...and of course you all recognised the film reference in the first post...I showed my kids this AAA*** rated absolute classic to my kids recently - and they laughed at the 80's special effects, and left before the end. Felt strangely deflated - like they were walking all over my youth with Big Boots...:oops:

The Antigua Pro-One - the metal in the bore folded a thousand times...or summink...

highlander_600 (1).jpg

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Lambert was a star then after Greystoke. There was another interesting movie back then with him called 'Subway'. Probably not a hit outside France. But the soundtrack by Eric Serra was good and he has done most of if not all of Luc Besson's soundtracks since.

OP
Mack

Mack

I saw Subway before Highlander. Lambert's peroxide blonde outsider left a deep impression on me. Also Jean Reno (The Big Blue, Leon) in an early role. Cool film.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I saw Subway before Highlander. Lambert's peroxide blonde outsider left a deep impression on me. Also Jean Reno (The Big Blue, Leon) in an early role. Cool film.
One of my faves from back in the day... splendid film

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom