All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Antigua Winds Saxophones

Profusia

I tried a few tenor saxophones over the weekend, and the one which I like best by far was an Antigua Winds 4240AQ ("antique" unlacquered finish). It was an ex-demonstrator and hence was discounted to £999 which was somewhat over the budget I had in mind at the time.

I think the 4230 has now been superceded by the 4240.
I've found a site that has the 4230 at £939, and another that has the 4240 for £1089.

I just wondered if anyone either knows these horns and has a view on their quality, or perhaps has a view on any differences in tone between lacquered and unlacquered horns?

Many thanks in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidUK

Two well regarded sax retailers told me a few weeks back that Antigua come out of the same factory as P.Mauriat. In fact one shop had the AW rep in, with a sample, asking if they'd like to sell AW saxes and the shop assistant said "That's a P.Mauriat" then proceeded to compare them side by side and they were identical. Please wait for someone with more knowledge to respond regarding the models you mention, and to my comments on provenance!

Profusia

Two well regarded sax retailers told me a few weeks back that Antigua come out of the same factory as P.Mauriat. In fact one shop had the AW rep in, with a sample, asking if they'd like to sell AW saxes and the shop assistant said "That's a P.Mauriat" then proceeded to compare them side by side and they were identical. Please wait for someone with more knowledge to respond regarding the models you mention, and to my comments on provenance!
Thanks David. I was told something very similar when I tried the Antigua actually but was also told that P. Mauriat firmly denied it. I've also read somewhere that there's some concern over the screws they use from a longevity/maintenance point of view (on both Antigua and P. Mauriat).

DavidUK

My Gear4Music alto is identical looking to a Yanigasawa. I don't think they are the same though.
There is a difference to looking the same and being absolutely identical, as the retailer told me. She said after the rep had left they did research into the two brands and discovered they were coming out of the same factory for sure.

I'd actually phoned them in connection with the Buffet Crampon 400 series alto saxes, which seemed to have great reviews, and they suggeted the PM as an alternative but were honest enough to let me know that some of the AWs were identical. I don't know which models though. This was all part of my 'GAS' attack!

Thomas, have you thought of asking Robbie here if he can send you a Jericho tenor to try out? There's been an Alto model for pass around, which will come to me shortly, but if the tenor is to the same standard as the alto reviews suggest, you may be pleasantly surprised? Just an idea!? See: http://www.studentmusicsupplies.com/jericho-j6-tmg-tenor-mark-ii---matte-gold-finish-241-p.asp

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
There is a difference to looking the same and being absolutely identical,
Yes, a big diference to looking identical and being identical,and there can still be a big difference even if made or partly made in the same factory.

Some factories will make stencils of varying quality, depending on the customers budget, and they can (and do) look identical so people can be very easily fooled.

So I would not rush to the conclusion that an Antigua that looks like a p.Mauriat is as identical as it looks.

Profusia

So I would not rush to the conclusion that an Antigua that looks like a p.Mauriat is as identical as it looks.
I'm sure by now the word would be out and they'd be selling like hot cakes if they were carbon copies. Having never tried a P. Mauriat I can only say that the Antigua's keywork felt the best I've ever tried (for me), bearing in mind that I have very limited experience, and that it blew very well as well (again for me), but I get the impression they are not very common (at least here in the UK) yet, so I'll have to go out on a limb if I decide to go that far over my budget. I will ruminate further.

DavidUK

Actually I recently bought a Jericho curved sop. I'll write a review at some point.
Reading between the lines, has the soprano influenced your decision not to try the Jericho tenor?

I too couldn't find any corroboration of the AW/PM link on t'internet.

TomMapfumo

The Antigua Winds Tenors that you mention were designed in collaboration with Peter Ponzol who some on here would know about - mouthpiece designer of note. Sounds like a good sax!

jazzdoh

The Antigua Winds Tenors that you mention were designed in collaboration with Peter Ponzol who some on here would know about - mouthpiece designer of note. Sounds like a good sax!
Correct me if i am wrong Tom but i thought it was only the Antgua Pro-one that Peter Ponzol had an imput in.

TomMapfumo

I was making an assumption that the "Pro" saxes on the current AW website were the same as the "Pro-One" sax designed by PP.
If they are not the same sax then I offer my apologies, obviously. As far as I am aware the Por-One sax was presented at NAMM in 2011 so assumed it would feature as a product on the AW website, which mentions Pro and non-Pro saxes.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom