Andy Sheppard

half diminished

A quick note about Andy's show on saturday 6th, Feb in Southampton.

I found it really lifting in a very relaxed way. The mood and ambience took the starring role in each tune with no self indulgence creeping through in any musician.
I am not over familiar with any of Andy's stuff as I have only admired his playing in snippets between listening to many other players.
Saw him once before back in the 90's in Salisbury which was technically good but not as interesting as I had hoped. This time though, it was far far more captivating. Movements in Colour was the theme for the night and it's hard for me to imagine that they could have done any more to create a better feel on the night.
The sound was great and no unnecessary amplification.
Beautiful is the best way to describe it.

At 40 something though, I did feel teenage when I looked around me at the average age of the decent sized crowd. That is fine but I couldn't help wondering why the balance was so strongly in favour of B&Q discount every wednesday?

Can't let it go with out mentioning 2 more things...
Kuljit Bhamra. INCREDIBLE!!!!

link will be posted

And
Doesn't really matter I know but what Tenor Sax was he using? Should be a Mauriat but the half decent glimpses I got had convinced me it was his MKVI right until he walked off at the end and I thought I spotted the Mauriat type body to bell brace.
It was raw brass but no whacky coloured key touches, just plain old white MOP. So I am not convinced either way.
Spot on, Kuljit Bhamra is totally brilliant. I sat about 5 feet away from him and maybe 12 feet away from Andy at Ronnie Scotts.

The tenor he plays is a P Mauriat 66RUL, just like mine :) and the touches are a whitish/silver MOP (though I think they call it abalone). I'm pretty sure his sop is a mk VI - at least it was at his workshop I went to at the end of 2008 though he does like to change his saxes more regularly than his mps.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
The pearls on the 66RUL are called black pearls but there not black,more a very light grey and not the blue wacky abalone pearls.He has been playing his mauriat 66rul on his new youtube clips on movements in colour.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Subscriber
Hi Saxlicker
I saw Andy and the band on the first night of the tour and he was playing the Mauriat.
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the show. I was a little disappointed with Movements in Colour, but as I said, it was the first night, and the band seemed to be following the dots a bit too much. I'm sure they have loosened up a lot now.
Andy

TomMapfumo

Seen him about 6 times in various guises. Great sound and personality. CD wise I have a real soft spot for Deep River, which is a collaboration with Joanna MacGregor (brilliant pianist) - very soulful playing, and good to listen to if you want to play like him.

Loved his first Album. and also "Dancing Man and Woman" - nothing recently as life is too short, and he doesn't play trombone:w00t:

Tom:cool:

Dylan

What a sax player.

Probably the musician I have seen most live during my existence on the spinning ball of mud.

I am also surprised at the negative reaction you frequently get when you mention his name to other players. Have they not got ears?

I put this down to his steadfast refusal to obey the "rules" of being a jazz musician - whatever they are - (sure he doesnt lose any sleep over it). He does his own thing and sticks to it. This doesnt fit in with the view of some and therefore is not really jazz.

Standards are not the be all and end all of jazz though you may get shot for saying so. Having said that, I've got an ancient vid of Andy from the 80's playing an electrifying improv on Donna Lee.

I was also very fortunate to take part in a couple of his "Sax Massive" events and can attest to his unbelievable sound. On one occasion we were rehearsing in a big old church in E.London with about 60 sax players making a fair racket (it was early days in the rehearsal process) and all of a sudden Andy's tenor cut through everyone with a "perhaps you should all try to do it like this" authority. Huge tone.

Very decent bloke and good teacher as well.

Tom, if you fancy a bit of trombone, take a listen to "Soft on the Inside". Gary Valente is amazing.

D

Dylan

Indeed. Mr Nuge in full flow - a terrifying sight.

Actually I'd completely forgotten that was my avatar. Its been ages since I posted. I used to be a regular on the old forum.

D

OP
Linky Lee

Linky Lee

I bought myself Learning to Wave and have listened to it several times through. It's just enchanting.

I've sat at my computer and just listened as the album has played through. It's finished and I feel like I've been hypnotized the whole time it's been on. Beautiful sounds galore and the drums (are they Tabla?) sound so good!

half diminished

I bought myself Learning to Wave and have listened to it several times through. It's just enchanting.

I've sat at my computer and just listened as the album has played through. It's finished and I feel like I've been hypnotized the whole time it's been on. Beautiful sounds galore and the drums (are they Tabla?) sound so good!
I thought it interesting that when I asked Andy to name his favourite album although he said he moved on and always liked his newer projects (Nocturnal Tourist and PS had been released) he had a soft spot for Learning to Wave. It is a brilliant album. Might have it on in the background this morning as I am WFH today!

In fact it's on now!! :)

As for the drums, yes I believe they are tabla. In jazzwise magazine a couple of issues ago they reviewed some and I was sorely tempted but at £200 it seemed a bit steep for something I never be able to play that well. Still tempting though. :w00t:

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Subscriber
Yep Tablas they are.
Saw Andy and the band do Learning to Wave at the West Yorkshire Playhouse in Leeds. Half the audience jazzers, the other half Indian fans of the tabla player. Great night made even better watching the puzzled stares of the Indian people wondering why people were clapping mid tune!
They got it eventually and were clapping violently at every opportunity.

Tutorials
Top Bottom