support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Alto Sax Lyre

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Where does one purchase a lyre?
I have a Yani A901, and I am aware that you need to get the right lyre for the sax, but I am not returning many useful hits on my Internet searches.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.
Many thanks.

That looks like it will do the job and it's already bent to shape. But Nick's point - from my trumpet playing days (long ago) I thought that a lyre was a lyre and you just pushed it into the slot as far you needed and then bent it to shape for your instrument and the angle you held it at. Not so?
YC

It may be so. I don't know. It was just a comment someone made at band about making sure I got the right lyre for the instrument. I notice that different saxes have the lyre slot/hole in different places around the top end of the sax. But if you just bend it yourself, then I guess as long as the stem is small enough to fit in the hole it will all be OK.

They all have pretty much the same thickness in the stem. If you heat the stem before bending it, it is easier to get into the right shape and it won't brake so easy.

Yes indeedy. Most I have seen have a nice square hole and a little thumb screw.

The band is talking of getting some Christmas Carol music, but the one they are thinking of is a small book designed for marching bands. This means putting it on a music stand is rather too small for my eyes! So I was thinking of a lyre to bring the music nearer my eyes :)))

there are many ways to bend a lyre and not all saxophones can use the same Lyre if it is bent in a way that won't work with a particular setting . I have never seen a lyre not previously bent into a shape. So, the best advise is try before you buy otherwise buy one of these super cheap ones and bend it as you ned to have it.
http://www.amazon.com/Grover-Trophy-Tr9517G-Marching-Saxophone-Lyre/dp/B001TOJT4Y

Mandy did you ever get one of these and if so, do you think it would be strong enough to hold a tutor book ? I've just got a saxmute one which blocks the view ahead and as I wear progressive/graduated glasses, having the music stand to the side makes it blurred. If not, can any kind person suggest something which might work ?

I do have a sax lyre. But I've never used it other than to test it fitted the sax and the book. I'm not sure they would take a full size book though.
I mean, the book would probably fit in the lyre clip, but it might flop, or even be too close to see comfortably.

I mean, the book would probably fit in the lyre clip, but it might flop, or even be too close to see comfortably.

Back to the short/long sighted vision thing. Leads me to consider using a kindle on a lyre. Just a thought, not even picked up the kindle to check if there is any chance it would work yet.

Back
Top Bottom