All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Altissimo use in real life?

Vetinari

Subscriber
How the hell does Leo Pellegrino take his bari up to soprano territory. I struggle to get palm E.

David Dorning

Subscriber
How the hell does Leo Pellegrino take his bari up to soprano territory. I struggle to get palm E.
Interestingly I tried it on my bari and found I could get a piercing high note that sounded at least as high as sop territory quite easily. I could lip up and down over a range of maybe half an octave, a bit like playing a tune on just the mouthpiece, but a lot more difficult to control. I can guarantee the skill level required to do this is minimal, as I did it first time. But I had very little control over the pitch. And I couldn't produce that warbling sound he does so much, the one that reminds me of a squeaky dog's toy.

Leo Pellegrino I ain't and on reflection I think I owe my neighbours an apology.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
I must say, I have four different altissimo fingering charts and only a few have the same ones.

David Dorning

Subscriber
I must say, I have four different altissimo fingering charts and only a few have the same ones.
Yes, I think each altissimo chart gives a bag of options that you have to work through and hope to find one that works best for your personal combination of oral cavity, mouthpiece, reed and instrument.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
I'm trying to compile one (at least in my head) that will work on my alto. I understand this can vary a lot.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Tasteful Altissimo.
This is my kind of playing and my favorite combo of just bass and sax. When you have just two notes the magic is hearing a whole chord/arrangement that isn't there. It's best (IMHO) when his technique isn't the focus, but the melodic line is. Take away 90% of the arpeggios and it would be musically better. The soft held notes are magic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
When I first heard him (a couple of decades ago or more) I somewhat dismissed him as yet another bopper. But he is certainly now an awful lot more than that as his albums with Arild Anderson show. One of my favourites.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

• Members online

• Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dago
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom