Subscriptions and donations are given to special needs music education charities
Tutorials

Altissimo use in real life?

Pete Effamy

This is one of my favourite players.
The imperfections (how dare I even say that :old:) in this solo are are just honesty.
Solo starts around 3.50 and the last run down after 5.00 in context with listening to the whole tune makes my spine tingle with joy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddNSbUdd8xI
One of my all-time favs too. What a sound. First altissimo note appears in 2nd phrase of solo!

David Dorning

Subscriber
How the hell does Leo Pellegrino take his bari up to soprano territory. I struggle to get palm E.
Interestingly I tried it on my bari and found I could get a piercing high note that sounded at least as high as sop territory quite easily. I could lip up and down over a range of maybe half an octave, a bit like playing a tune on just the mouthpiece, but a lot more difficult to control. I can guarantee the skill level required to do this is minimal, as I did it first time. But I had very little control over the pitch. And I couldn't produce that warbling sound he does so much, the one that reminds me of a squeaky dog's toy.

Leo Pellegrino I ain't and on reflection I think I owe my neighbours an apology.

randulo

22 months since I began - 3.5% of my adult life
Subscriber
I must say, I have four different altissimo fingering charts and only a few have the same ones.

randulo

22 months since I began - 3.5% of my adult life
Subscriber
I'm trying to compile one (at least in my head) that will work on my alto. I understand this can vary a lot.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Tasteful Altissimo.
This is my kind of playing and my favorite combo of just bass and sax. When you have just two notes the magic is hearing a whole chord/arrangement that isn't there. It's best (IMHO) when his technique isn't the focus, but the melodic line is. Take away 90% of the arpeggios and it would be musically better. The soft held notes are magic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
When I first heard him (a couple of decades ago or more) I somewhat dismissed him as yet another bopper. But he is certainly now an awful lot more than that as his albums with Arild Anderson show. One of my favourites.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom