support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Aloha!

MMM

No not posting from Hawaii, just wishful thinking!
What to say, been playing for too long, not much to show for it. Have had a passion for vintage saxes for the last 20 years, over which I have owned many, many saxes of all sizes and shapes (curved mostly).

Anyway, looking to get back into the swing of playing after a longish pause due to work/family and at the moment part time woodwind technician (oh yes!).

Love to all,
Manlio

Aloha Manlio!

Welcome to the Cafe from the Skabertawe Horn Section :w00t:! Look forward to hearing more from you over the coming weeks and months and hope that we can encourage you to resume your playing with some gusto.

What is your favourite sax, and did it ever belong to Ben Webster ;}?

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Thank you all!

I live in England, based in Surrey at the moment.

Tom, bit of a cliche, but my favourite has to be my MK6 tenor, however I went through a Martin period, particularly the Handcraft "Searchlight" models: ended up with 3 tenors and 3 altos! (all long gone!). I got the first "Searchlight" tenor from Harry Gold (famous London based bass sax player), what a great guy, he was in his 80s and still playing. He also autographed his autobiography for me. Harry told me he thought Selmer saxes were terrible! He always played vintage American but his bass sax was a Keilwerth.
I am also enjoying my beat up 12M bari, what a sound!

Saxes I wish I hadn't sold: Super 20 tenor (with full pearls!), Couf Superba I alto, SML rev D Tenor, MK6 bari and alto, Yamaha YSS62 sop, YAS62 purple logo alto...and my first alto a silver plated (probably Italian made) "President" (no not a Hohner).

Cheers,
M.

Hi Manlio

Welcome to the forum from a novice blower I'm afraid, you sound like a man with a great knowledge of saxes and a wealth of experience,I'm sure it will be much appreciated here ...john

Yep welcome MMM to the Cafe. I dont suppose you would be interested in a Dolnet Alto from the fifties, to add to your collection????

Rikki

Thank you al for the warm welcome!
Rikki, as luck would have it, I already own a Dolnet alto, probably from the 40s (sn 20700) before the bell/body brace was diamond shape! Trying to sell it at the moment, but great, great horns for what they go for. I have overdosed (eBay junkie style!)on obscure/stencil saxes recently and I'm trying to offload some...

Cheers,
Manlio

Back
Top Bottom