support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Advice on where I can get a cheap Bari case/gig bag

Rick Reed

I'm after a cheap baritone case/gig bag to replace my rather knackered and very impracticle Berkeley case (which came with the sax). I'm not fussed if its a hard or soft case as I'll only be transporting it short distances in the car.

I have been looking around and the cheapest I can find is a Protec for about £275.00. Sax.co.uk have both the Fusion and Tom & Will gig bags which look great (and cheap at 100 quid!!), but they told me they can only get them for the low A and I need a b flat one.

I have got a budget of about £150.00 max. Can anyone steer me in the right direction.

BTW.... Just purchased the Hiscox Artist case for my tenor sax.Lovely case... strong and stylish & well worth the extra money compared to the Lifelite Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link and advice Thomas. The reason I was looking at gig bags was for the bell keys being on the left. Do you know if the SKB will fit a Martin? Cheers Andy

I don't know how well a Martin bari fits in a SKB bari case. I didn't knew SKB manufactoried a bari until I visit thier website the other week. SKB shaped tenor and alto cases are used by Martin owners .... A rectangular roadcase gives best proctection for your bari. I don't understand why they are making flightcases for baris and bassaxes??? You can carry a tenor (overseas aircompanies), alto and soprano flightcase as cabin luggage. If I'm going to replace my bari original case it will be an aluminum roadcase. Roughly the same money as but much better protection for your baritonesax.

Thomas

Just for interested parties viewing this thread - my advice is: Don't buy a cheap bari case, buy a good bari case. The Pro-Tec one is a good one, and while not providing a bullet-proof solution, gives a nice compromise between practicality (i.e. weight) and ruggedness.

A rectangular roadcase gives best proctection for your bari.
Thomas is dead right on this - a flightcase (with wheels) is usually the best solution - you don't want your very expensive bari bent due to carelessness...

I don't understand why they are making flightcases for baris and bassaxes??? You can carry a tenor (overseas aircompanies), alto and soprano flightcase as cabin luggage.

My experience on this is that alto and soprano cases usually meet the carry-on size requirements. My tenor flies as hand-luggage in its Hiscox Liteflite Pro case, but I sometimes have to get quite shirty with airline staff who (rightly) point out that it exceeds the carry-on allowance guide box thingy. It's usually the budget airlines that give me grief, but when I (rightly) point out that their goons loading the aircraft usually do so from throwing distance, and that I'm not prepared to fly without the sax in my hand, they start to back down. When I then (rightly) point out that the case fits through the X-ray machines, and fits in the overhead lockers, I've got my way (so far).

Baritone saxes do not fit in overhead lockers. You may have to purchase an extra seat ticket for this instrument, or get that aluminium flight case and pay the 'oversize luggage' fee. And gaffa-tape the locking catches closed to avoid a spilled sax.

I did once have to actually prove I could play my sax in the security area of East Midlands Airport...

Nick

Some very useful points Nick, thanks for that. As I don't plan travelling abroad with the bari, I'm not unduely worried about baggage handlers and overhead lockers. My gigs tend to be local really, hence the gig bag idea, but you never know....
I think I will check out the Protec. I have just purchased the new Hiscox Artist case for my tenor. Very strong if a little bulky, but a good trade off, I think.
A bari playing friend of mine did a gig in Kuwait not so long ago and was allowed to take it on the plane and the stewards stored it for the flight. However, he did have to play to the pilot and his crew!!!