support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones advice on how much to pay

C_Claudemonster

Formerly saxgirl22
Hi All, I have the opportunity to accquire a Selmer alto. It's a modele 22 and it needs a full overhaul. All of the lacquer is pretty much gone and the pads are the old white ones that appear as if they have rotted away or gone 'fluffy' so it does need a complete overhaul. Bearing in mind this will cost me £250 and I can't do this right away what do you suggest I should pay for the sax. I am so worried about scraping money together and ending up with a duffer........I will be stretching myself to do this
Thank you in advance!

I am afraid you will have to skip this one. They sound great, but their concept is really old. I think it doesn't even have a front F.

This is another sax with a high chance of not being in standard pitch.

Careful with these saxes. It was Selmer's first in house sax, all the earlier ones were stencils. I've read posts saying the neck was a touch narrow, makeing them a little stuffy. May or may not be true.

So check pitch, do some other research and check likely resale price. This should give you a good ballpark on price. Factor in cash for unforseen work as well.

£500 is far too much, imho.
I had a nice - playing nickel plate Modele 22 alto, and sold it for £500 a few years ago. It was ok kinda "light" sounding,
but you can do better.

well, I listened and it sounds wonderful! However, I'm taking advice on this one - I can't play that well so wouldn't it be an epic fail if I spent out on it, paid for an overhaul and I just couldn't make that sound! :(
Perhaps I'll save for a later model that plays but I've got a craving for a Selmer!

You sound like you are in the same boat I am. These great saxes out there ones you see and you think "oh nice! That's my future sax". Then the price tag raises its ugly head. Then you see what you want for a great price only to see "needs minor repairs" and those minor repairs are a killer or the sax itself is a miss. You will find your sax. Just save and practice while ya do. At least you have good people to ask on the ones that catch your eye or ear.

I played a Modele 22 alto for a while. It is actually OK. I sold if for around £900 in good condition.

I still think though that any saxophone should ideally be tested before buying,mwhich you can't do if it needs a complete overhaul. I would also have doubts about the quality of an overhaul that only costs £250, that's a bit cheap these days but might be OK.

So all in all it's a gamble that may or may not pay off.

I played a Modele 22 alto for a while. It is actually OK. I sold if for around £900 in good condition.

I still think though that any saxophone should ideally be tested before buying,mwhich you can't do if it needs a complete overhaul. I would also have doubts about the quality of an overhaul that only costs £250, that's a bit cheap these days but might be OK.

So all in all it's a gamble that may or may not pay off.

I cant get my head around why anyone would want to play a horn with so outdated ergonomics like that.Just because its got a Selmer badge i suppose.I was there once when i thought i had to have only Selmers.We all go through it.The mythical french draw of selmer.

I cant get my head around why anyone would want to play a horn with so outdated ergonomics like that.Just because its got a Selmer badge i suppose.I was there once when i thought i had to have only Selmers.We all go through it.The mythical french draw of selmer.

The ergonomics didn't worry me at all. The only issue I had was that it was not as loud as some modern or other vintage horns. But the tone was very nice tuning good. In fact many years earlier I had a Modele 22 tenor,which had better intonation than the Buffet and MKVI I replaced it with.

Somewhere I have some sound clips of the alto.

Lack of front F doesn't bother me, there are alternative ways to finger it or a mod could be done.

But, again, I would not recommend buying one without trying it first to be aware of what it is like.

The ergonomics didn't worry me at all. The only issue I had was that it was not as loud as some modern or other vintage horns. But the tone was very nice tuning good. In fact many years earlier I had a Modele 22 tenor,which had better intonation than the Buffet and MKVI I replaced it with.

Somewhere I have some sound clips of the alto.

Lack of front F doesn't bother me, there are alternative ways to finger it or a mod could be done.

But, again, I would not recommend buying one without trying it first to be aware of what it is like.

I like my comfort so would not be for me.I just want to try and forget about my hands and just play.

lol, well I had a french car & it let me down badly. Infact the bloody thing fell to bits on the road and I don't like Airbus much either! so there's my answer I guess?! haha American & German engineering, built like tanks! But, I did recently visit a Swedish lighting factory with my company and they are amazing with their design concepts and engineering. Swedish saxophones? What makes are there if any out there? :)

lol, well I had a french car & it let me down badly. Infact the bloody thing fell to bits on the road and I don't like Airbus much either! so there's my answer I guess?! haha American & German engineering, built like tanks! But, I did recently visit a Swedish lighting factory with my company and they are amazing with their design concepts and engineering. Swedish saxophones? What makes are there if any out there? :)

Volvo baritone saxophone, Saab soprano saxophone, Scania tenor saxophone, and Ikea kit set saxophone :)))...nah just kidding to my knowledge there's no Swedish saxophone manufacturer but Thomas would know...

Cheers,

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom