support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Advice needed!! Any Irish people here?

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
Hi everybody,

as you can read on the flyer, we're having a Saint Patricks Day celebration party, just for the heck of it. To be clear we live in the Netherlands. There`s going to be a band playing flogging molly and such, but before and after the "DJ" plays Irish request which we can submit these weeks before the 17th.

What is some good Irish music? apart from the more known; Dubliners, Murphy's and Molly's...

hope you have some suggestions!

431687_2785060671089_1395421731_32114685_1341633924_n.jpg

Bannastrand has to be my favourite Irish piece. Closely followed by The Red Haired Man's Wife.

But also search out recordings of the whistling contests. Ireland has an incredibly rich musical tradition of wonderfully emotive music. It's not just 'pop' bands like the Dubliners, although they've done a lot to bring it to many people's ears outside the island. Lots of wonderful harp, fiddle, whistle, flute and a lot of vocal tradition as well.

Enya's well worth a listen. And Thin Lizzy just about counts, but it's mostly untraditional. Looking back, I'm not sure if their East of Eden is good or appalling. But it's good folk rock, so maybe I'd better leave it there.

Hehe this takes me back to when i was a nipper and frequenting the night clubs in Liverpool, about 5 of us went into the Irish centre on Mount pleasant in Liverpool, and it was there i first came across watching a traditional Irish band who were.... Foster and Allen

I'm going back about 32/33 yrs ago and we had a great time :) it then became our regular haunt each Friday night, eventually meeting the future Mrs Trimmy at the Irish centre all those years ago.

So check out Foster and Allen old school Irish folk duo

ps. don't forget the Corrs, Bewitched, Boyzone, ok i'm joking :)))

Some Dutch people clearly don’t feel they have enough reasons in their country to drink on account of their own traditional celebration so, after the carnival ordeal, they obviously didn’t have enough of it and decided to celebrate St.Patrick (who drove the snakes out of Ireland......while the Dutch snakes are still here: gladde slang (Coronella austriaca), adder (Vipera berus) ringslang (Natrix natrix) ).

Why not!?

After all we have, in Holland, Bulgarian and White Russian church choirs with people whom sing religious hymns in languages which they don’t speak or understand ( and a religion they don’t share!) and people dancing just about any type of even obscure foreign folk music in the world other than their own (that one is not done.....).

The opposite of Xenophobe is a Xenophile >:)

well it was an idea that came up in a bar to be used in that same bar, most of the people there would allready be there only now there`s more entertainment. And hopefully some other people turn up as well.

but thanks everyone for the suggestions I few of `m I knew but there were a few new ones.

thanks.

well it was an idea that came up in a bar to be used in that same bar, most of the people there would allready be there only now there`s more entertainment. And hopefully some other people turn up as well.

but thanks everyone for the suggestions I few of `m I knew but there were a few new ones.

thanks.

Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun..... As long as you're not paid in leprechaun gold.....

Thank you for all the suggestions, it was a great night. The live band (guitar, accordeon/piano) really livened up the bar and made room for all the irish music to come that night.

I have quite a bad headache now so I think i've had enough guinnes for quite a while! (or I should've gone home earlier than 6 in the morning..)

Back
Top Bottom