• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Tech/maintenance Abalone key pearls

Regarding the tacky feeling of the plastic pearls, could they still have some mold release from manufacturing on them, and a good cleaning would remove this tackiness?

Since seems you already removed them, now a mute point.

Seems any other authentic choice would actually be an upgrade and if it improves your playing comfort then goal is met.

Just a few thoughts.
What’s “authentic” in this context other than nacre?
 

DesertRoads Did you buy coloured or plain? Please post a picture once done.​

I plan to visit a local fellow I am friends with that builds / makes custom trumpets. He does custom horn pearls I will ask him if he will do touches and risers for me. He likely will have recommendations.
The SAT set of horns I want to do have black pads.
My Series III tenor has worn pearls as well.
I may try wood touches on my YSS475.
 

DesertRoads Did you buy coloured or plain? Please post a picture once done.​

I plan to visit a local fellow I am friends with that builds / makes custom trumpets. He does custom horn pearls I will ask him if he will do touches and risers for me. He likely will have recommendations.
The SAT set of horns I want to do have black pads.
My Series III tenor has worn pearls as well.
I may try wood touches on my YSS475.
Something to be aware of when getting a trumpet maker to do this, trumpet pearls are usually flat, not concave like sax, as you can see from his website. He'll have to buy a set made for sax or carve out every single pearl, which seems very labor intensive to me. There are also multiple sizes to deal with. Why not just get a good set of sax pearls and be done with it?

Also seems like a princess and the pea situation with you guys. I've played saxes with plastic, MOP, bare brass or, on clarinet, no touches at all and never given any of them a second thought. I have more important things to be concerned about.
 
I've played saxes with plastic, MOP, bare brass or, on clarinet, no touches at all and never given any of them a second thought. I have more important things to be concerned about.
I am like you. However @DesertRoads has a unique body chemistry issue affecting feel with a particular plastic.

We all are different. One just needs to find what suits them. I didn't even know that anodized aluminium pearls were available.

The comment about concaveness is correct. I bought a universal set of plastic pearls to fit keys on saxes missing. This set has a bit more concaveness than the originals on my Jupiter Vito tenor. However it still feels OK.

So, I found this thread educational on available pearls of different materials.
 
Something to be aware of when getting a trumpet maker to do this, trumpet pearls are usually flat, not concave like sax, as you can see from his website. He'll have to buy a set made for sax or carve out every single pearl, which seems very labor intensive to me. There are also multiple sizes to deal with. Why not just get a good set of sax pearls and be done with it?

Also seems like a princess and the pea situation with you guys. I've played saxes with plastic, MOP, bare brass or, on clarinet, no touches at all and never given any of them a second thought. I have more important things to be concerned about.
Obviously this post isn't for you since for you "have more important things to be concerned about". This is for me and wanting constructive input. Since you don't have any, you don't need to trouble yourself with this conversation.
 
More ego /aesthetics than anything on the YYS475, I think wood will look more refined and even add value to the horn. I got the horn at a great price from a hobbyist who was cleaning gear. The price is negligible for the upgrade and the plastic does look cheap to my eyes and does not have the feel of real peals.

The SAT set of horns I want to upgrade are matching Black Ruby Cannonballs I recently bought at a distress sale price from the original buyer. Hard times hard choices.
I tried to fight the urge as it was a want more than a need but I had money in the bank from recent sales of horns. So I saw it as an investment opportunity. 😉

I recently unloaded a Cannonball tenor as I did not like the feel of the stone touches and large stone risers but I enjoyed the way it played. I considered changing the touches but sold it for a substantial profit instead.

The horns have a visual impact on stage. Been hunting for a set for a few years now.

Some of us are more sensitive or aware of different things when playing an instrument. Plus we place value on different things or have more resources.

Very content with the touches on my SAT Artist Jupiter’s but I do have copper JB WELD risers on the tenor same with my SERIES III.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,279
Messages
576,562
Members
8,089
Latest member
ajcm568
Back
Top Bottom