support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

A Thank you to Stephen Howard

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Locality
Hampshire
I had a bit of an accident with my Sax a couple of weeks back where something fell onto the Sax stand, knocking it and the Yam over and onto the side of the sofa. This resulted in a serious kink in the Octave Key rod and a misplaced key or two!
I'm lucky enough to live within a 30 minute drive ( through some glorious countryside) from @Stephen Howard's workshop, so after a couple of emails I was booked in for early the following week.
I was expecting to drop the Sax off and pick it up later in the week but Steve got to work on it there and then, bending and straightening bits of metal, replacing the Octave Key screw and undertaking some other fettling, which meant I was able to take her back home a couple of hours later sounding as good as ever.
The good thing about taking the Sax to Steve is he always has a toot after the work is done and it confirms to me that if the input is quality the output is quality and it puts me off any delusions of GAS!! Don't tell him, but I always go away thinking I've got the much better part of the deal as he does all the work while a very minor part of the World is put to right, I pay him a modest fee and I take away a finely worked instrument!!
Anyway, just to say I appreciate the work Steve. The Sax sounds great and a sample of something Scottish, Single and Malt based will be tucked away for next time!

I’ve met Stephen only once.

I took the very long journey from my home (approx 130 miles each way) with my previous Tenor.

I was convinced there was something wrong with it, even though our local tech hadn't been able to find it!

Anyway I had a lovely hour or two putting the world to rights. Stephen telling stories of repair jobs he had done, gigs he’d worked etc.

AND he tracked down the leak and fixed it for me!

The sax played much better, however, I had lost faith in it, so it had to go regardless! (Not Stephens fault at all!)

I'll throw my allegiance onto this bandwagon in a semi mixed metaphor way too. Steve has done many a job for me. His old-school workshop reminds me of my Dad so it's always a fun visit.

What can I say? Cheers, people!!
I'm spoilt, really - I get to meet some wonderful folks, work on something I have a passion for...and then see just how much it means to them to have their horns restored to good playing order. And the banter comes for free!

It's a pleasure and a privilege,

Just got back from picking up my tenor and alto from Steve after he's spent a few days working the magic and giving them both a proper service.

They sound and feel much better than when they went in, top notch work although, as he said, anything that now sounds wrong is down to me :)

Oh, and I've got to spend more time on long notes and cut out "that bleeding vibrato".

:rofl:

Gawd bless yer cotton socks Stephen, thanks to your honest review of the Bauhaus M2 Tenor, I purchased one in 2010 and it is just perfect for me and such a bargain. Also Thanks to Pete for this wonderful Forum and the gems of wisdom it imparts

So Happy Xmas and a Happy New year to you both and indeed all members of the Cafe

Thanks and Regards to All

I have gotten some great advice from Steve's site, from his book and from himself directly. Thumbs up!!!

And just in case anyone missed it, Steve's site does have a Donate button, which is a good option for his "virtual customers" like me.

I have gotten some great advice from Steve's site, from his book and from himself directly. Thumbs up!!!

And just in case anyone missed it, Steve's site does have a Donate button, which is a good option for his "virtual customers" like me.

Y'know, I've never thought of it in that way before....'virtual customers'.
But yeah, I guess I do have them.