All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities

A few thoughts from the giants

Pete Effamy

On the other end of the Scale, this popped up in my Youtube feed yesterday and I thought of you. Some interesting points made to the young Student who seems to have won this lesson in a Competition. She does very well to play anything alongside a quality pro, let alone with the added pressure of her Dad videoing the whole thing! Eric mentions going out on Tour with Corea in the video. Comes across as a nice chap too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0sjYfV1mi0
The crux of this lesson for me, from an impro point of view is when he says about the difference between a novice-sounding player and advanced-sounding player is one of presentation. Making sure that what you play is delivered with purpose.

Pete Effamy

I've never actually understand what a 'swing' is, to me, there's binary and trinary (???) feels, or as we used to call them, push (funk) or shuffle.
Sound like different terminology for the same thing. I often use ratio in teaching if the student is erring toward a dotted 8th and 16th feel - so we need a 2:1 ratio rather than 3:1. In my mind, you can't get more graphic. But whatever hits home.

OP
randulo

randulo

playing 2 years
Subscriber
Making sure that what you play is delivered with purpose.
This is one of several terrific Ericisms! Make sure each note is played to be heard, that it comes out as intended.

So many of these things are obvious when stated, yet, listen to yourself playing on a recording and see (in my case) how many of them I am guilty of. Another note on his work on ArtistWorks is that you can see every video any student has made and every one of his responses; Think about how valuable that is! No other situation will give you that, no local teacher, no masterclass, no online lessons or private online lessons. There are hundreds of these available to see.

OP
randulo

randulo

playing 2 years
Subscriber
In the Sanborn part about 12/8 etc, he's saying that even in straight ahead blues, he's always thinking "tak a dah tak a dah tak a dah tak a dah".

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
I recall reading a funny post about things a British woman found funny or annoying in the USA, and one of them was "everything is awesome!". It sure did become common years ago and still is said way too much. But now the adjectives for something great are "insane" or in some circles "dope". "The bomb" had a moment a while a ago.
The big one with young people in the States now is "legit". The one that bothers me the most is the not only overuse, but misuse of "literally". "Random" is a close second.

Pete Effamy

The thing that has always baffled me is early rock n roll, where often there is half the band playing straight 8ths and the other half swing 8ths. It sounds great. But it should sound a mess...

jbtsax

Subscriber
The thing that has always baffled me is early rock n roll, where often there is half the band playing straight 8ths and the other half swing 8ths. It sounds great. But it should sound a mess...
I was aware that a lot of early "rock songs" had a shuffle feel, but I have never heard one where the 8ths were mixed. This early dance tune is a good example---it even has "rock" in the title. It would be interesting to know when straight 8ths were first introduced in what was called "rock music".

Pete Effamy

I was aware that a lot of early "rock songs" had a shuffle feel, but I have never heard one where the 8ths were mixed. This early dance tune is a good example---it even has "rock" in the title. It would be interesting to know when straight 8ths were first introduced in what was called "rock music".
Can't watch this in the UK jb

Jazzaferri

If you find swung eighths a challenge try swung 16ths.....in this the eighths are straight

Pete Effamy

If you find swung eighths a challenge try swung 16ths.....in this the eighths are straight
I know, that's why I thought the video posted by Dibbs was a bit naff (nice English word - heard it?) Go fast enough and it becomes impossible. I thought that the Freddie Hubbard example of him playing the 1st 8th note delayed was just him in this solo, on that day and don't think that it is the way that he plays swing feel. There's a lot of the video that is like trying to quantify Rubato in terms of an in-time thing rather than a feel thing.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom