PPT mouthpieces

A bit too sentimental?

Wade Cornell

This is a bit sentimental. I had a fire last week and lost part of the roof of my house and (of course) other damage. The second half of this piece tells the story through a very old tune. The guitarist is playing in open tuning in a style that's associated with Hawaii and called slack key guitar.

http://soundcloud.com/whampton-court/slack-key-lulaby-i

Comments/criticisms always welcome.

Good to see you back.Sorry about the fire.Hope all ends well.Theres 1 plus about the fire.Its made you play such a heart felt piece.This is on par with the other song i like best from you's and thats the 1 on the nino about that NZ bird you done.Your 2 shinging hours.

Hey man, I'm so sorry to hear about the fire. I assume no one was hurt? Material things can be replaced.
You're on here so everyone must be safe!

Lovely piece of music Wade!

Wade, I hope you are not offended when I say that, in my view, this piece is easy listening personified. I loved it.

Regards and sorry about your fire.

Dave

Good choice of words that I'll take as "easy to listen to". Was meant to be very direct and not esoteric, so I guess it worked. Thanks also for your sympathies. We'll cope but it will take time.

Hey man, I'm so sorry to hear about the fire. I assume no one was hurt? Material things can be replaced.
You're on here so everyone must be safe!

Lovely piece of music Wade!

[FONT=&quot]Thanks Mike. Yes, everybody OK, but unfortunately a bad cocktail...shaken and stirred.

I'm not very attached to stuff, but I do like living in the house I built. We're moving into winter and our rainy season with a tarp over a portion of the roof. We've also had a big increase in the rat population that will be looking for a nice warm dry area to move into as winter comes on, so the problem has little to do with stuff and more to do with ongoing life hassles.

Christchurch (here in New Zealand) had a major earthquake which is sucking billions of dollars of insurance money and is taking up all their attention. Just as a matter of logistics we are fighting to get movement on our insurance claim so that something (almost anything) can start happening to assist in the clean up and rebuilding. It's cynical, but real to recognize that insurance companies do best by keeping the $$ in their possession for as long as possible. There are outstanding claims in Christchurch that one would consider "standard" that are still not settled after more than a year.

We will get through it, but the journey isn't likely to be fun.[/FONT]

You could say that Morricone,s music is sentimental, not from the spaghetti westerns film scores, but more from the Once upon a time in America and Cinema Paradiso scores, which your music had I think, some of the same expression. I think Morricone is a great composer and with your piece, I was not aware of, or concerned with the instruments used, just enjoyed the music.

You could say that Morricone,s music is sentimental, not from the spaghetti westerns film scores, but more from the Once upon a time in America and Cinema Paradiso scores, which your music had I think, some of the same expression. I think Morricone is a great composer and with your piece, I was not aware of, or concerned with the instruments used, just enjoyed the music.

Not sure how you meant this but I'm taking it as one of the best compliments I've ever had. The object for me has always been to transcend the limitations of instrument and communicate an emotion or story to the listener without the baggage of words. As an instrument/sax based forum we get hung up on technical aspect of playing and don’t always listen to the emotional content. You got this without being sidetracked by the means.

Many thanks.

Good to see you back.Sorry about the fire.Hope all ends well.Theres 1 plus about the fire.Its made you play such a heart felt piece.This is on par with the other song i like best from you's and thats the 1 on the nino about that NZ bird you done.Your 2 shinging hours.

Thanks Davey. Thought I had replied to you earlier, but didn't see it posted. Did I swear that much? Probably just didn't hit the right button.

You're the only person who I think totally got the Tui piece, and yes this is similar. I always thought the Tui was my best work, but it just didn't touch anyone, except you. Doesn't matter too much to me, but I'm glad that occasionally the story and emotions behind the music can cut through. Glad you're out there and willing to speak up.

Oh, and my wife doesn't think I'm a softie, more like a squishy.

Cheers.

But what did you think about the music? We've got to get our priorities right here!

Sorry, I hadn't listened to it. I like and admire your playing a lot. But.... Most of what you post is so far away from my likes that I now leave it alone for people more in tune with your work to enjoy. Not meant as a negative, just stating a fact. I also dislike Mahler, Boulez, Zappa, Parker, Garbarek, Gary Glitter and Dolly Parton.

But I took a special listen now.

This one I enjoyed - at least the sax playing. There's a depth and warmth here that doesn't always show. Touch schmaltzy? Yes you could argue this, but maybe it's appropriate. Wouldn't take much to push this down into elevator music, but done tastefully as you've done, it isn't there.

Didn't like the backing track. By half way through it was irritating me so much I had to fight it to listen to the sax. Putting it lower in the mix would help, but for me it didn't fit what you were saying with the sax or really support it.

I think a lot of guys could learn from the subtoning here. Saxes don't have to scream or be aggressive all the time (even if it is fun). And your timing/phrasing is, as usual, impeccable.

Thanks Davey. Thought I had replied to you earlier, but didn't see it posted. Did I swear that much? Probably just didn't hit the right button.

You're the only person who I think totally got the Tui piece, and yes this is similar. I always thought the Tui was my best work, but it just didn't touch anyone, except you. Doesn't matter too much to me, but I'm glad that occasionally the story and emotions behind the music can cut through. Glad you're out there and willing to speak up.

Oh, and my wife doesn't think I'm a softie, more like a squishy.

Cheers.

Wade i see theres no Tui on your soundcloud.Not been on for a while.Could you put it back up so i can add to my fave list fella.Keep your chin up and keep blowing.

Sorry, I hadn't listened to it. I like and admire your playing a lot. But.... Most of what you post is so far away from my likes that I now leave it alone for people more in tune with your work to enjoy. Not meant as a negative, just stating a fact. I also dislike Mahler, Boulez, Zappa, Parker, Garbarek, Gary Glitter and Dolly Parton.

But I took a special listen now.

This one I enjoyed - at least the sax playing. There's a depth and warmth here that doesn't always show. Touch schmaltzy? Yes you could argue this, but maybe it's appropriate. Wouldn't take much to push this down into elevator music, but done tastefully as you've done, it isn't there.

Didn't like the backing track. By half way through it was irritating me so much I had to fight it to listen to the sax. Putting it lower in the mix would help, but for me it didn't fit what you were saying with the sax or really support it.

I think a lot of guys could learn from the subtoning here. Saxes don't have to scream or be aggressive all the time (even if it is fun). And your timing/phrasing is, as usual, impeccable.

Thanks Kev (I think?). Well I'd be happy to be as successful as most on your list of dislikes. I'd be especially honoured to be in the company of Mahler, Zappa and Garbarek, but (like you) less inclined towards the others. I noted that you didn't mention JC is that because it was Easter and you didn't want to get crucified? (sorry everybody else that's an inside joke).

I do appreciate that you took the time to listen and found something positive (although schmaltzy). You're a good guy and a great moderator possessing both honesty and diplomacy, that's a rare combo and greatly appreciated.

So, now that we have a partial list of your dislikes (that's very broad and has little discernible pattern) can you tell us what you DO LIKE?

Cheers.

Wade i see theres no Tui on your soundcloud.Not been on for a while.Could you put it back up so i can add to my fave list fella.Keep your chin up and keep blowing.

Thanks Davey. The Tui is on Sound Click
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11765991&q=hi
I use both Soundcloud and Sound Click. Although Soundcloud is easier to navigate I keep running up against their limit to how many tunes you can post without paying them.

Noted later that you found the Tui, but thought I'd reference it in case anyone else wanted to listen.

Cheers.