All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones YTS 62 1997 - mint condition....NO LAUGHING!!!

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
Blimey! I was actually looking on eBay USA as you posted!!!!!

View attachment 2866

Congratulations - looks like a nice horn... and plenty of gear with it.

Has that particular version got the mother of pearl touch pieces or the polymer ones?

Funny enough I find my Yamaha lighter than the Walstein.

Greg S.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Congratulations - looks like a nice horn... and plenty of gear with it.

Has that particular version got the mother of pearl touch pieces or the polymer ones?

Funny enough I find my Yamaha lighter than the Walstein.

Greg S.

Hi Greg

Mother of Pearl on the keys. Looking at the sax now in the daylight there is not a tarnish or blemish on it. I was very very lucky. It is so easy to blow it is spooky! That is just with the Yam mouthpiece that it came with (after cleaning).

I have another tenor - Fremont Excalibur - that has a bigger bell but is nowhere as easy to play or as loud. Strange, it proves that size is no definition or indication of a larger sound. Keys are very easy and pinky table is ideal

Still feels heavy but I think that is me. It even came with a BG harness! If any member wants it they are welcome (also looks brand new but not for me).

Looking forward to practice later more than usual. Thanks everyone for enabling me to get this!!

Merryfisher

Locality
Hampshire
that looks like a great result - i love my '62 which i have owned since the mid '80s, it looks very knackered, but it feels great, sounds great, and bullet proof build quality!
Picked up the Yamaha YTS 62 yesterday just north of Sutton Coldfield, little place called Aldridge. The sax was bought new in 1997, used less than a dozen times and put away! The keys are still attached to the handle of the case! Also got a music stand, sax stand, two boxes of reeds, four books, cork grease, cleaning cloths, etc. Almost embarrassing array of goodies for £850.

Now the sax................immaculate!

Greg Strange

Locality
Hi Greg

Mother of Pearl on the keys. Looking at the sax now in the daylight there is not a tarnish or blemish on it. I was very very lucky. It is so easy to blow it is spooky! That is just with the Yam mouthpiece that it came with (after cleaning).

I have another tenor - Fremont Excalibur - that has a bigger bell but is nowhere as easy to play or as loud. Strange, it proves that size is no definition or indication of a larger sound. Keys are very easy and pinky table is ideal

Still feels heavy but I think that is me. It even came with a BG harness! If any member wants it they are welcome (also looks brand new but not for me).

Looking forward to practice later more than usual. Thanks everyone for enabling me to get this!!

Looks like you're acquiring a great selection of vintage and modern horns - it's good to have a bit of diversity to choose from...a few people on here a bit envious including myself.:thumb:

Greg S.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Much appreciate the responses! Greg - I am fortunate at the moment to be able to purchase some wonderful horns and I feel very thankful to have the opportunity to do it!!! If I work out what I have spent I could probably have bought two great saxes but I really do enjoy the whole lot of them! It has stopped now however!!!

Now I want to appreciate how to enjoy them! Some of my pals come and enjoy as well. I don't keep them in a cupboard! Must say though...........the Yam 62 is the closest thing to a vintage sound that I have heard from a "new" sax! Bearing in mind it was made in 1997!! The quality, finish, tone, ease of playing, ergonomics and sound is superb!!

Need to take stock and look at Martin tenors!

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Mouthpieces for the YTS 62 - have decided that I am going to try out a 5, 6 and 7 opening! So have purchased a Claude Lakey Jazz 5*3, a Yani metal 6* and in the process of acquiring a Berg Larsen 7*.

Comments welcome!!!

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
Mouthpieces for the YTS 62 - have decided that I am going to try out a 5, 6 and 7 opening! So have purchased a Claude Lakey Jazz 5*3, a Yani metal 6* and in the process of acquiring a Berg Larsen 7*.

Comments welcome!!!

Good choice of mpc's but the older Bergs are better than most of the new ones so if you like the Berg vibe on tenor it might be an idea to try some vintage ones,also links and link type mpc's are always worth a look,it depends on what sound you are hoping to make.

altissimo

Locality
leicester
not all modern Bergs are bad, my friend got one a few years ago after trying a few in the shop and it was a killer. Some of the old one's aren't brilliant, either, despite the high prices they're fetching. Morgan Fry does refacing for a reasonable price - http://morganfrymouthpieces.com/content/mouthpiece-refacing

if you're gonna get into mouthpieces, keep an eye out for a Lebayle Jazz, Jody Jazz HR or anything by Ralph Morgan

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Have taken good advice from Ian - Saxman and Prof Weinberg (plus I have listened to TomMap who has always given good advice).

Appreciate your recommendations as well, many thanks. What do you prefer with your Martins?

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Locality
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
All I would add is that when you're trying them all, have a variety of reeds at the ready. You may need to go softer on the larger openings or harder on the smaller, depending on what you play at the moment. It's amazing on the on the sound difference, not just playability. I swore by Alexander DCs on everything until I played a Theo Wanne on alto. Too bright. RJS didn't work so well (my usual 2nd choice), so I tried some Marca Jazz after hearing TomMap rave about them. Just the ticket.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
It was suggested that I use Vandoren Java reeds a while back with the Selmer and Windcraft which were fine. I will heed your advice and get some Marca Jazz :thumb:

Greg Strange

Locality

Comments welcome!!!

A hard rubber mouthpiece that tends to get over looked in favour of Otto Links is the Meyer tenor piece. A good all-round general mouthpiece, I have a 6M which is about 0.81" to 0.86" (depending on which mouthpiece comparison chart you research) and plays fine - hey Junior Cook and Jimmy Heath can't be wrong. A 7M or a 8M would equate to approx. 0.90" and 0.100" respectively.

Greg S.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom