support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones YTS 23 Tone

harplayer

I have a YTS 23 and like it a lot but would like to hear examples of people that play better than I do on it. Does anyone know any YouTube examples of people playing a YTS 23 with very good tone and proficiency. I am not sure if I can develope the tone I want on this horn? So I want to hear examples of people playing the YTS23 with the great saxophone tone that I would like to develope, to see if the horn can do it if I keep practicing. Thanks

I don’t know how you play but there are a few good examples of good playing a YTS 23 on Youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a YTS 23 and like it a lot but would like to hear examples of people that play better than I do on it. Does anyone know any YouTube examples of people playing a YTS 23 with very good tone and proficiency. I am not sure if I can develope the tone I want on this horn? So I want to hear examples of people playing the YTS23 with the great saxophone tone that I would like to develope, to see if the horn can do it if I keep practicing. Thanks

Once you get to a certain standard of sax (which the YTS 23 comfortably exceeds) the horn is far from the most important influencing factor on tone. Player and mouthpiece both have far more influence on tone than the sax. Although I've never had a YTS 23, I have had a couple of YAS 23s, and I thought they were great saxes.

I have a YTS 23 and like it a lot but would like to hear examples of people that play better than I do on it. Does anyone know any YouTube examples of people playing a YTS 23 with very good tone and proficiency. I am not sure if I can develope the tone I want on this horn? So I want to hear examples of people playing the YTS23 with the great saxophone tone that I would like to develope, to see if the horn can do it if I keep practicing. Thanks[/QUOTE

The 23's are great horns and are a legend in there own right.Keep practicing and if you feel you need a darker sound or brighter sound check out a wide bunch of mp's.Many many pro's use 23 yamahas.

The guy playing the Silver Shocka mouthpiece sounds great. Thanks for the post. Thanks for the advice about my horn and tone. If there are more players with great tone playing YTS 23's please post them, I need inspiration. I can't really afford to buy horns unless there will be a noticable and great improvement to my tone. They are so much more expensive than harmonicas. However I don't notice a lot of experienced players on this site using the YTS 23. Thanks

Just be aware that audio on Youtube etc is usually highly compressed...

You and the mouthpiece are the biggest influence on the sax's sound. Followed by the reed. Sax trails a long way behind. As Nick says.....

Long tone practice and a clear concept in your head of how you want to sound makes a big difference.

There's another current thread about sounds. Some good points in there including a book recommendation.

The guy playing the Silver Shocka mouthpiece sounds great. Thanks for the post. Thanks for the advice about my horn and tone. If there are more players with great tone playing YTS 23's please post them, I need inspiration. I can't really afford to buy horns unless there will be a noticable and great improvement to my tone. They are so much more expensive than harmonicas. However I don't notice a lot of experienced players on this site using the YTS 23. Thanks

The following is from Steve Howard's website from his review of the new Trevor James Custom Raw Tenor Sax:-

Long-term readers of this site will know of my love for my trusty old Yamaha YTS23 tenor - a humble horn with a price-tag to match, and yet for me it's one of the most 'alive' horns I've ever had the pleasure to play. Some people have been quite surprised by my preference, incredulous even - but some have been curious enough to try one out, and have been more than a little surprised by the results. It's still a tough act to beat, even today - and while I've played a great many horns that I've liked, I've not yet been moved enough by them to consider changing (excluding a few £5000+ horns that were divine but crushingly expensive)...until now.

Regards,

Greg S.

Listen to as many good sax players on cd or youtube,if you dont get inspiration there then your in trouble.Sax is like the human voice,you got to work when using it on every note.Its never ending.

I have just sold my YTS 23 , it has served me right all the time that my Super 20 was away on repairs , a very nice horn indeed.
Nothing wrong with it at all.

Thank you Greg Strange. That is just the kind of inspiration that I am looking for. Troy Roberts is great on that Yamaha Student horn. Music can sound great on the type of horn I am practicing on. Thanks for all the replies.

Back
Top Bottom