PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax Yamaha YAS280 or Buffet Crampon 400?

Yamaha YAS280 or Buffet Crampon 400?

• Yamaha YAS280

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Buffet Crampon 400

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AliWantsASax

Locality
Australia
Hi helpful Sax community!

My daughter has started Alto sax with a hired instrument and her teacher thinks she's showing promise, so we're looking to buy her a sax. We are a bit limited in what we can buy in Aus, so I've narrowed down the choice to either a Yamaha YAS280 (the replacement for the YAS275) or a Buffet Crampon 400.

I've read a lot of great reviews about the Yamaha, but wanted to hear from people who might have played both on issues such as tone quality, build quality/ease of maintenance and ease of playing.

Thanks in advance! :)

Cheers
Ali

I feel that if you have the cash to spare you'd be better off going for the Yamaha.
I found the 400 to be OK, if a bit uninspiring - and the build quality was iffy in places,

Tonally the 400 leans towards the warm - the Yamaha is brighter and punchier, and an easier blow.
In terms of maintenance the biggest difference is that the Yamaha has adjusters on the main stacks..the 400 doesn't. This is only relevant if you're able to do advanced maintenance...but it's still nice to have (makes servicing easier, and a little cheaper).

The 400 will do - it's a decent enough horn for the price...but for the extra cost of the Yamaha would pay itself back in the long term,

I feel that if you have the cash to spare you'd be better off going for the Yamaha.
I found the 400 to be OK, if a bit uninspiring - and the build quality was iffy in places,

I've seen a fair few used Buffet 400s for sale with very bad corrosion. I'd go for the Yamaha too.

Hi,

my opinion comes from 30 years of teaching:
The 21/23/25/275/280 might not be the "biggest sounding" or "most interesting" or "most beautiful" horns, but I've found that every student found the Yamaha to be a horn that helps him/her, doesn't pose questions. And it's ready for sax quartet, band, orchestra.

Nevertheless, every horn is different, and they're not doing proper setups everywhere. So let someone competent assist you.

Cheers

Last edited:
There's lots of good advice here in the Cafe for you on all sorts of subjects ...

:old: My tip will be for you to involve your daughter in making the final decision regarding which sax you buy for her. It will more than likely than not encourage her to play it well, love and cherish it, keep it clean, take good care of it and protect it from damage.
:sax: Good luck with what ever you decide ...

If you are anywhere near the bigger cities in Aussie these stores should be helpful...

In Victoria and Queensland...

Ozwinds Brass and Woodwind Orchestral Music Store

and if you are anywhere near Seedney...

META_TAG_FBTITLE

all should have a good range of new and used instruments to try out...

Happy honking...

Greg S. from across the ditch...

Thanks Greg! Actually, our local (very reliable) music store has both the instrument and accessories package at a better price than the Sydney store and I figure after-sales service will be easier if we go local. :)

Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies! The Yamaha is much more available locally and I'm keen to buy from our (excellent and experienced) local music store, so we're nice and close for after-sales service etc. I'll wait on final thoughts from the sax teacher, but looks like the YAS280 is a winner. Cheers!

:thanks3:

Back
Top Bottom