Tutorials

Saxophones Help please, Evette Buffet Crampon

ukwoody

Hi all,

as some will know I have recently started playing an keilwerth Alto which I have had buried for several years. I have however always fancied a tenor (long story).

I have just been offered an Evette Buffet Crampon Tenor, which is s/h. The person selling it is desperate for money, and the owner of the shop who is selling it on her behalf is reasonably well known to me.

The price is £190. It appears (and sounds) to be in good condition (it's a few years old and has a few scratches, but nothing of sigificance). Do you think it's worth getting at that price? Are they reasonable horns? - it doesn't have to be Pro quality just reasonably good enough to produce good sound (haha, not with me playing it!).

The lady who owns the shop and is herself a sax player, reckons it's actually worth closer to £300, but the owner is desperate for a quick sell.

any thoughts very welcome
Regards
woody

Taz

Busking Oracle
It's not a top quality horn, but then nor is mine. £190 for a tenor in good playable condition can't be bad. As long as the neck (crook) fits the body well, there appear to be no dents, especially near the tone holes, all the pads are present and leak free then I don't think you can go wrong. Even if you spend another £100 putting it right, you've still got a reasonable horn for under £300.
This is just my opinion and I'm sure that some of the other members will give you theirs too.

OP
U

ukwoody

Hi Kev, thanks as always. I will howvere say I'm fairly certain it's not any form of antique instruemnt, so in that sense not a brilliant one, but I am going back to study it tomorrow. I think for the price its looking good.

woody

Taz

Busking Oracle
Since answering your first post, I've done a little research, If it has ROC engraved on it then it's a Chinese made sax and possibly of a poorer build quality. I'm sure though, that if you have a good look at it and examine it closely you should be able to get a good feel for it.
Good luck and give it a good blow.

OP
U

ukwoody

Taz, I *guess* it probably is an ROC one, but for that money I think I may well go for it asnyway. From what I can gather, even the roc ones are of better construction than many of their cheaper counterparts.

woody

thomsax

Taz, I *guess* it probably is an ROC one, but for that money I think I may well go for it asnyway. From what I can gather, even the roc ones are of better construction than many of their cheaper counterparts.

woody
I think Evette (Buffet Crampon) and Jupiters 500 model are made at the same plant in China. Jupiter is a good studentsax and I think the same goes for Evette.

Thomas

Top Bottom