PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Yamaha - no sopranos why??

hello there...i have a fully repadded yss62...have you seen my website?i have sent a few saxes to newzealand...
cheers,philip

Hey Phil,

I've often "perved" on your website looking at those fine horns...

3d-smiley-says-no-way-emoticon.gif

but you shouldn't tease or tempt me like that...it's bad for the G.A.S. :rofl:

Saying that the purple logo 62 soprano does look nice... :happydance:

Cheers,
Greg S.

I struggle to understand why Sequoia always seems to be ruled out. It is a monster horn regardless of price range, that I prefer to my curved Yanni. Is that because of the name? The price range? Counrty of origin?
I am not familiar with the Sequoia brand. Can you tell us more about them, like where they are made, if parts are available, if they are set-up by the dealer before they are shipped etc. I went to their website and none of that information was given. Thanks.

I am not familiar with the Sequoia brand. Can you tell us more about them, like where they are made, if parts are available, if they are set-up by the dealer before they are shipped etc. I went to their website and none of that information was given. Thanks.
As it happens, the most complete source of information on the web is probably in this very Café
Saxophones - Sequoia saxophones, a presentation.
and my basic contact page
http://www.aldevis.com/offlineshop.html

Sometimes I wonder if a higher price tag that would allow us some more endorsers and some marketing could be worth, but considering the low production volume (few hundreds in total), we are still hoping in word of mouth.

We also failed sending a horn to try in the USA: Italian export regulations killed the possibility. We sold a soprano there, though, and it seemed much, less complicated. Until the buyer had to send back the extra necks he could chose from: weeks of headaches at the Italian custom office.

(edit: I just realized that GBP is now stronger than last year vs. Euro)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I wonder if a higher price tag that would allow us some more endorsers and some marketing could be worth, but considering the low production volume (few hundreds in total), we are still hoping in word of mouth.)

I think there are more than enough overpriced Taiwanese hotrods on the market - what`s needed are well priced Taiwanese hotrods on the shelves so people can try them - Thining Viking and your own Sequoia here ..

As it happens, the most complete source of information on the web is probably in this very Café
Saxophones - Sequoia saxophones, a presentation.
and my basic contact page
http://www.aldevis.com/offlineshop.html

Sometimes I wonder if a higher price tag that would allow us some more endorsers and some marketing could be worth, but considering the low production volume (few hundreds in total), we are still hoping in word of mouth.

We also failed sending a horn to try in the USA: Italian export regulations killed the possibility. We sold a soprano there, though, and it seemed much, less complicated. Until the buyer had to send back the extra necks he could chose from: weeks of headaches at the Italian custom office.

(edit: I just realized that GBP is now stronger than last year vs. Euro)

Is it any easier for you to send to USA from UK, long way round I know?

Jx

Last edited by a moderator:
Thining Viking and your own Sequoia here ..

I had some friendly conversations with Mr. Viking, and he seems to have the same issue: with that price tag he is unattractive to many shops, so direct sale is the only way.
On the mouthpieces side, same goes for boutique mouthpieces in the UK. I currently only know of Richard Hamer at http://www.woodwindsalesandrepairs.com/ that decides to stock some pieces for the love of saxophone.

Until someone can do a direct comparison between my soprano and a 475, it is just my word (and my playing) to be trusted though.

It is time to insist with a couple of shops, then.
Please pm me recommendations about the best shop(s) outside London, so I can ask Mr. Sequoia to send them a proposal directly.

BTW, anything big in Scotland, while I am there?

Curly Woodwind in Liverpool too :)

There is a small music shop near here too
http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/
they do sell a lot of guitars and pianos but do stock saxophones.

Jx

I had some friendly conversations with Mr. Viking, and he seems to have the same issue: with that price tag he is unattractive to many shops, so direct sale is the only way.

Until someone can do a direct comparison between my soprano and a 475, it is just my word (and my playing) to be trusted though.

I don`t understand why Shops are willing to take on the overpriced boutique TW horns like system 54, P-Mauriat and especially Cannonball, but aren`t willing to take on ones priced to sell and put decent Saxes in peoples hands like Seq and Viking . I seem to remember someone here (One of the Petes I think) saying that TJ even find the RAW a hard sell here (a very well known TW hotrod with a sensible price) .....

SMS are very cheeky in their campaign "want a YAS62 then try the Jericho" ..... Something like "don`t want to be ripped off by Boutique American TW hotrodders ? - Ours is hotter and half the price ! " , I think this is basically what Viking are saying in the USA . the problem is that these kind of campaigns routinely attack Selmer, Yamaha and Yani and that is wearing thin (I yawn when I see yet another Selmer or Yamaha killer) , I`d prick my ears up if I saw a Cannonball GE killer advertised .... it`s CB, PM S54 etc they need comparing to !

Personally I don't like to see manufacturer's adverts attacking any other brand to sell their own product. Comparisons are good better for a customer or user to point out the advantages of a cheaper brand over a higher end one. :)

Jx

I don`t either , in fact, it my eyes it did more to discredit the Jericho than to make me want to look one up - the Jericho horns AND SMS stand up on their own merits without this Yam62 crusade.

My post was tongue in cheek but something needs to be done - Shops who won`t take on Seqs need to be asked "Why not Seq if you`re happy to take on Mauriat and Cannonball ". get the Horns in the shops so people can compare them side by side . maybe even implement a "No selling over the internet" like CB do to give them that bit of Mystery (though not going as far with the anti-advertising) ....

All this has made me want to try a Seq Alto - LOL- Not that I can afford one

I don`t either , in fact, it my eyes it did more to discredit the Jericho than to make me want to look one up - the Jericho horns AND SMS stand up on their own merits without this Yam62 crusade.

My post was tongue in cheek but something needs to be done - Shops who won`t take on Seqs need to be asked "Why not Seq if you`re happy to take on Mauriat and Cannonball ". get the Horns in the shops so people can compare them side by side . maybe even implement a "No selling over the internet" like CB do to give them that bit of Mystery (though not going as far with the anti-advertising) ....

All this has made me want to try a Seq Alto - LOL- Not that I can afford one

Get down to London and go see @aldevis and then you can write a nice (hopefully) little review :)

Jx

I don`t understand why Shops are willing to take on the overpriced boutique TW horns like system 54, P-Mauriat and especially Cannonball, but aren`t willing to take on ones priced to sell and put decent Saxes in peoples hands like Seq and Viking . I seem to remember someone here (One of the Petes I think) saying that TJ even find the RAW a hard sell here (a very well known TW hotrod with a sensible price) .....

SMS are very cheeky in their campaign "want a YAS62 then try the Jericho" ..... Something like "don`t want to be ripped off by Boutique American TW hotrodders ? - Ours is hotter and half the price ! " , I think this is basically what Viking are saying in the USA . the problem is that these kind of campaigns routinely attack Selmer, Yamaha and Yani and that is wearing thin (I yawn when I see yet another Selmer or Yamaha killer) , I`d prick my ears up if I saw a Cannonball GE killer advertised .... it`s CB, PM S54 etc they need comparing to !

A shop that buys a, say, Mauriat or Yamaha, has a saucy margin and a company that invests in advertisement for them.
The marketing machine is expensive and will be paid by the final buyer. The only alternative I see are micro-companies like Sequoia or Pillinger.
To give you an idea, Sequoia produces roughly 500 alto/tenors an year, a bunch of sopranos and some baritones. Small enough to have all the instruments personally checked by Mr Sequoia before shipping, but too small to afford many endorsers (that sometimes are just people after a free spare horn) or even going to the Frankfurt Musikmesse.

Get down to London and go see @aldevis and then you can write a nice (hopefully) little review :)

Jx

Cant even afford the trip at the mo :(

Aldevis - surely Cannonball pass through even less . I`ve no idea how much it would cost to get your horns into Sax.co etc , I guess the question is if Mr Sequoia is even interested . I`m guessing that they`re made in Taiwan to the company's spec , checked over in Italy and shipped wherever directly ..... Lupifaro have the same problem (with both site made and Hotrod imports) except that they threw a spanner in the works by shipping via Switzerland which is outside the EEC . I reckon there`s more than a few superb horns that will never be heard by most due to marketing expenses

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom