support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Yamaha AS-100

13sixty9

Locality
South Africa
Hi All,

Any information on this, would be greatly appreciated. stamped, Yamaha Japan AS-100 Serial stamp 007141 in what looks like an original Yamaha brown case.

thank you in advance

Last edited:
These are some pics, please let me know what you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG-20140607-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20140607-WA0002.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG-20140607-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20140607-WA0005.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG-20140607-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20140607-WA0007.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 460
Hi its a sax identical to yas 275 thfamous entry level sax of yamaha. Welcome to the cafe.

Moved from Doorbell forum :)

Jx

Hi its a sax identical to yas 275 thfamous entry level sax of yamaha. Welcome to the cafe.
actually these are not identical to the 275.....the 275 is a much later edition and the yas100 never had the high F#.....
the yas100's were made nearly exclusively for the australian market,and resembled the much sort after and great yas23.....
but the yas100 saxophones had not as good lacquer on the body and not as good nickel-plated keys,so they went "off"quicker.....
in other words,they were cheaper than the yas23's.....
they are still good student saxes and they were made in japan,so i think,superior to the saxes coming out of indonesia and china these days.....
the 100 models have not been made for about 10 years.....
they were never available in the usa as the yas23's were the main yamaha student saxes there and were lacquered and padded there,so i am told.....thats why many of the american yas23's have an A after the serial#....
anyways,thats what i know about the 100's.....
cheers,philip

actually these are not identical to the 275.....the 275 is a much later edition and the yas100 never had the high F#.....
the yas100's were made nearly exclusively for the australian market,and resembled the much sort after and great yas23.....
but the yas100 saxophones had not as good lacquer on the body and not as good nickel-plated keys,so they went "off"quicker.....
in other words,they were cheaper than the yas23's.....
they are still good student saxes and they were made in japan,so i think,superior to the saxes coming out of indonesia and china these days.....
the 100 models have not been made for about 10 years.....
they were never available in the usa as the yas23's were the main yamaha student saxes there and were lacquered and padded there,so i am told.....thats why many of the american yas23's have an A after the serial#....
anyways,thats what i know about the 100's.....
cheers,philip
Thank you for feedback :)

I would take a Yamaha every time. Great build, excellent to learn on and retains good trade in value
thank you Prof. i have them both now, and trying to decide which to sell, since i am still looking for a tenor, i just got this great deal on the Yamaha that i could not pass up.the Earlham however does seem to have a warmer tone though, so still not 100% sure which one to sell, but as you said the Yamaha would probably be the one to keep

13sixtynine..............choose the sax that you like best. If you prefer the Earlham and you are more comfortable with it then give it a go for a while. There is no rush to get a tenor, give the alto a go for a while, then, make up your mind which one to sell to help fund the tenor purchase.

It`s probably a YAS23 in metalwork (which doesn`t have a high F# either - that feature came in with the YAS25) even if they saved money on the laquer . the 23 is an excellent horn and far better than an Earlham (which is a generic no name Chinese)

I recently bought a YAS23 and I can't believe how good a sax it is. There is a YTS23 available in the Yard Sale for £500. Check it out.

Jim.

It`s probably a YAS23 in metalwork (which doesn`t have a high F# either - that feature came in with the YAS25) even if they saved money on the laquer . the 23 is an excellent horn and far better than an Earlham (which is a generic no name Chinese)
yes,the yas100 are exactly the same as a 23,but cheaper.....still good horns...
thats what i have seen over the years....
cheers,philip

I`ve got a mega-tatty 1974 vintage YAS21 (well it was tatty, I RAW'd the bell and bow) and it sounds just like a 61 but playability wise is missing the Pro Keywork though even the Budget** keywork is good .

**I hate the term "Student" when applied to Musical instruments , loads of 21s and 23s were thrashed to hell and back on the Pro scene and are still going strong , also Students (as in beginners rather than Pre-Med students who play the sax) are better off with a Pro horn anyway, they get to spend more time learning to play the Sax rather than learning to fight deficient musical instruments - IMO the only students who should own typical "student" horns (as in no namers like the Earlham, Windsor Stagg, etc) are Sax repair students ..

wow....."hate" is a heavy word....
the "student" saxophones are cheaper,and as we know,saxophones are expensive beasts,so to have a cheaper one available makes it more accessible to "the student".....
once "the student" gets right into the saxophone,then a professional model can be purchased....
anyways,i try and avoid the no-name,(or some-times named),non-japanese asian saxophones....
anyways,what-ever your saxophone,enjoy it to the max....
cheers,philip

wow....."hate" is a heavy word....

Sorry, we all have common use terms which bug us - LOL) I feel the term denigrates both beginners and in the case of the likes of the YAS21/23 and other superb budget horns, the saxes themselves - you don`t get "Student" cameras or "Student" keyboards - just ones at varying prices to suit the cashflow of everyone. I`ve got a YAS21 because I couldn't justify owning the YAS62 as I play tenor mainly . likewise I have a YTS62 because Tenor is my main horn and was lucky enough to 1:- find a mint used one and 2:- have been able to afford it . a YTS23 would have been fine if I couldn`t.

A beginner may cast off a YAS280 after reaching grade 5 or whatever - that used YAS280 may then be bought by a penury gigging pro who`ll hammer it to death earning a living. I can see why a beginner would want to try something cheap to see how the instrument fits but 3 month trial rental schemes involving something decent aren`t expensive .