PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Help me identify these Yamaha YTS-62

BRHoody

Hello,
I am trying 2 YTS-62.
They look very different. I understand there are different generations, and that's probably what it is.

The first one has
NECK
"62" engraved on the front of the neck - facing the audience
golden Yamaha logo on the neck
BODY
YAMAHA stamped on the top of the body where you insert the neck
The serial number has
TYS-62
serial number E1xxxx
MADE IN JAPAN
BELL
Engraved Yamaha Logo on Bell
Established in 1887 engraved on the bell, but no JAPAN

The second one has
NECK
nothing engraved on the front of the neck
Black Yamaha logo on the neck
BODY
Nothing on the top of the body where you insert the neck
The serial number has
YAMAHA
TYS-62
serial number 04xxxxx
MADE IN JAPAN
BELL
Engraved Yamaha Logo on Bell
Established in 1887 engraved on the bell, and JAPAN underneath

My understanding is that the first one should be 4th generation (post 2013) and the second one, 2nd generation (1994-2003).

Am I correct?
And most of all, should I care?

When I saw the differences, I started to suspect that one could be a fake.
Is there a possibility?

Thanks to the experts

PXL_20240504_050813586.jpg

PXL_20240504_065119255.jpg

I think you got it basically right. Both look legit (from the limited pictures).

The first one is the current 62 iteration. They're called 62 04 or 62 III, depending on the market.

The black logo one is an older model. Probably later Mark I with the stamped bell logo and tilting pinkie table, otherwise basically the same as original purple logo instruments.

Thanks heaps @BalancedReaction
Besides aesthetic anything to note in terms of mechanic or anything else?
Meaning, if they were at the same price should I just rely on which one feels better with me?

The soundstage changed slightly with the later models. If you were jumping from a Mk1/Mk1a you'd notice a bit less cut and punch. That may or may not be an issue depending on your tonal preferences. If you have the opportunity to try them both, and they're around the same price, going with the one that feels better would be the right thing to do.

Besides aesthetic anything to note in terms of mechanic or anything else?
The newer one has a sturdier neck receiver, as you can see on the pictures. It also has plastic pearls instead of real nacre. It'll probably be a bit heavier and perhaps slightly brighter in sound.
Current 62s have two custom models above them in the Yamaha line. The older one is probably from a time when they were starting with the 875, if that makes a difference.

Meaning, if they were at the same price should I just rely on which one feels better with me?
I'd do that. All the 62 generations are popular and excellent instruments.

Back
Top Bottom