support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Wouldn't dream of it

I know, I hate mullets and I'm glad they didn't say "Taz you got to look like him!" I'd have quit! :w00t:

Sorry to hijack your thread miss-saxophone ;}

Some people here are saying that they begin on alto and move on to tenor as they progress. I absolutely love the alto and wouldn't even dream of 'moving on'. Anyone else feel like this?

Before buying a sax i read lots of advice which hinted that playing an Alto was easier to learn on, (is this true?). So i bought an Alto. I think your instrument calls you and a Tenor is calling me so i am working on the wife with a view to buy a tenor. Also i guess it must depend on your circumstances, if you are Bruce Springsteen's new sax player you have to play a tenor.......etc.

I would say that is probably easier overall to start on tenor, if weight is not an issue, as it is quite forgiving soundwise. Many folks who play Alto complain aboout sharpness or excessive brightness, which I have not found, but I did start on Soprano so the move to Alto did feel easier overall.

Good luck with finding a decent Tenor - lots of good ones around at good prices!

Good luck with finding a decent Tenor - lots of good ones around at good prices!

When you say "lots of good ones around at good prices" where would you look if you were after a tenor at the moment? Just trying to find good places to look and research, i keep an eye on EBay but it looks like a risky environment when you are a relative beginner who doesn't know what to look for or what to pay.

When you say "lots of good ones around at good prices" where would you look if you were after a tenor at the moment? Just trying to find good places to look and research, i keep an eye on EBay but it looks like a risky environment when you are a relative beginner who doesn't know what to look for or what to pay.
Hi, I bought an ex demo Bauhaus Walstein from Saxophone Heaven in Oxford, I hired it first for 3 months for £100 and then just had to pay the balance to buy it. I am thrilled with it and actually prefer it to my Yamaha 275 Alto which was about twice the price! Quality instrument :)
Good luck with your search, Jo x

Hi Rock Lobster!

The three I would recommend in the £500+ price range would be the Bauhaus Walstein - which can be bought new for £559. The Hanson ST5 which is at £589 new, and the John Packer 042 at £540. If you have a little more money at your disposal (£1000 or so) I would highly recommend the Buffet Crampon T400 at about £1000. I recently bought a Buffet Crampon A400 Alto sax which is awesome - beating saxes costing 3/4 times the price, and excellent back-up for my Selmer Ref54.

If any of the above are used then they would be excellent value!

Take a look in the yard sale.

Or at one of the dealers who get regularly praised here.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom