support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Why do I let these things happen to me?

If we're posting 'Money' videos. :D

Of course, it means that we want to see your version, too. ;)

View: https://www.facebook.com/mimikfloyd/videos/501809570640684/

I'm not really into the whole 'tribute band' thing. Just of curiosity, is the aim to replicate as closely - as you're able - the exact notes and expression of an 'original' recording/performance?

That would depend on which band/artist you were performing but generally the closer the better. If you're doing someone like Floyd then you have to get as close as you can to the recording that the fans know because that's what they expect to hear. I would say the same thing is true for most (rock) bands - can you imagine an Iron Maiden or Thin Lizzy tribute where the guitar solos weren't like the originals or the rhythm wasn't quite right? A Burt Bacharach tribute, on the other hand, gives you huge leeway in what you can potentially do.

There's a definite difference between being in a covers band and being in a tribute. Indeed, if you're in a tribute then it's usually more a theatrical performance than a gig where you're playing someone else's songs, so much so that most tribute bands even wear costumes to mimic the original performer(s).

Thankfully with Pink Floyd no one expects you to dress up. Sadly, they do expect thousands of pounds worth of lighting, lasers and projections... :thanks2:

Well, as rehearsals go this can probably go down as one of the less effective ones...I didn't actually get to play a note :rofl:

They booked the hall from 12, I got there about 1. Introduced myself to everyone, they seem like a nice friendly bunch: we won't be long, and then we'll do your songs first because we know you have to shoot off, ooh aren't those saxes shiny, which end do you blow down, ho, ho, ho, etc, and then got out of the way while they set up their gear.

Which went on, and on, and on, and on, and...well you get the idea. I had to leave at three, and they were still setting up. I just heard from my mate Rich: they only started playing at 4:30, finished at 9, and have only just taken everything down.

So, the moral of the story is that Floyd tribute bands appear to take approximately 10 times longer to set up than any other group of people I've ever known. We play the gig on Friday, Not only have I not played with them...I've not even heard them play.

Can't wait :rofl:

It takes the Floyd band I play with 3.5 hours to set-up for a gig - and that's with regular tech rehearsals to keep it as efficient as possible,

Regarding the gig, as long as they play the songs like the album versions then you'll be fine. If you can happily play along with the real Floyd then you'll nail the show. :thumb:

Yep, and to be fair this was their first "dress" rehearsal, so there was a lot of technical gubbins to be beaten into submission.

It'll be fine, I've done gigs with even less prep than this (albeit on guitar), and no-one's died yet. I'm actually looking forward to it, roll on Friday!

I see you're doing a gig on the Saturday - I've got another gig with my main band that night so can't come along, but I'll keep an eye out for your shows in the new year.

And @Taz , I'm going to try and make your Derby gig in February - the inlaws live in Derby so I might be in with a chance :)

And if Mrs Timbo asks why I'm going to so many gigs, I can just say "research" :rofl:

And @Taz , I'm going to try and make your Derby gig in February - the inlaws live in Derby so I might be in with a chance :)

And if Mrs Timbo asks why I'm going to so many gigs, I can just say "research" :rofl:

Make sure you book your tickets well ahead, as the last 5 times we’ve played there, we sold out days in advance. It would be great to meet you though.

I forgot to mention, on our bigger theatre gigs, our crew get in at about 10 for us to start sound check at about 5, to open the doors for about 7.30
I rack up at about 4.45 :rofl:

Make sure you book your tickets well ahead, as the last 5 times we’ve played there, we sold out days in advance. It would be great to meet you though.

Good to know, I'll make sure to book :) My lot have sold out as well...this Floydy stuff must be quite popular :)

I forgot to mention, on our bigger theatre gigs, our crew get in at about 10 for us to start sound check at about 5, to open the doors for about 7.30
I rack up at about 4.45 :rofl:

My lot don't have a crew, they have a bloke called Rob who wanders around swearing at the gear. On Sunday, I heard him shouting at the lights, going "they're upside down, they're upside down". Didn't understand what he meant, and for a moment I thought we'd have to play "Shine In" :rofl:

Well, that was interesting :)

It was fun, but a hell of a lot of faff! Over 4 hours to set up, Still no time for rehearsals with the band so just got a few bars of Us and Them at the soundcheck (which lasted in total about 10 minutes before the punters started coming in).. I played 3 songs in the second set, lost all sound from my in ears in the Money solo, dropped a few clangers, but everyone was happy with it, and I've never had so many people come up after a show telling me how much they enjoyed the sax bits. The band sounded pretty good, a few sound issues, tech issues, and they could do with some more rehearsal themselves, but that's me being picky. Overall good quality and it all went down well with the crowd of a hundred or so, a full village hall's worth.

Tell you what though, I've never been so nervous on the day of a gig before. I usually don't get nerves, so that surprised me. Nothing major, but I definitely had butterflies!

Anyway, now to set up for gig number 2 tonight - but this one is my band, so I'm mainly on guitar - no butterflies :rofl:

In other news, had a gig with my band last night, and we smashed it :) 3 sax songs in there (a couple of Madness and a Dexy's), which got the whole place up on their feet. I might have to extend One Step Beyond so there's time for me to lead a proper Madness line conga now I've gone wireless :rofl:

I might have to extend One Step Beyond so there's time for me to lead a proper Madness line conga now I've gone wireless :rofl:

There’s no better gig than one where you jump into the audience! Have fun with that idea, but watch out for your sax getting knocked! I’ve ended up with many a split lip!:confused2::sax: