support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Who plays on "Return To Sender"

stefank

Having just bought a baritone the band have been told that we are now doing "Return To Sender", and I've just finished transcribing the baritone obbligato (love that word). Conventional wisdom seems to be that Boots Randolph played on the Elvis recording, but a discussion on SOTW suggests that it may have been King Curtis. Does anyone here have any insights into this?

I can only offer John Laughter's wisdom that you probably already will have read:

#2 (£1) RETURN TO SENDER-ELVIS PRESLEY BOOTS RANDOLPH BARITONE
All of my research over the years indicates that Boots played
the bari on this one. I also recall an email from his web
site years ago that stated that it was him. His web site also
supports it;
http://www.bootsrandolph.com/
However, I found this interesting site which gives Bobby Keys
the credit;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Keys
!
According to Ernst Jorgnsen, Bobby Keys DID NOT play the sax
on the “Return to Sender” track. Boots Randolph was flown to
Los Angeles with Scotty Moore and D. J. Fontana a few days
before recording began and rehearsed the songs that had been
chosen for the movie. Elvis arrived a few days later and
would record them with Boots, Scotty, D. J., and some session
musicians from Radio Recorders.

One other song to be aware of that wiki refers to;

#2 (£10) THE WANDERER-DION BUDDY LUCAS TENOR
“We had Bobby Gregg and Bucky Pizzarelli on guitar, Panama Francis and “Sticks” Evans on drums, Jerome Richardson—a monster player—played alto sax. Buddy Lucas played tenor sax and harmonica. Johnny Falbo played electric guitar on some of the blues things, and we had bunch of great musicians from the Apollo in Harlem”. Dion.

I feel sure that Bobby did so many sessions over the years that some of it runs together. Excellent musician!

We simply want to try and give credit where credit is due.

Thanks all. In relation to "The Wanderer" (another song that has recently found its way into our set list) I'd seen the wiki article (on Keys) and was wondering how accurate it might be.

"The Wanderer"....yes that is a good dance song. Played it several times over the years.

We have a 96 page list titled "THE HISTORY OF “TOP 40” SAXOPHONE SOLOS-1955-2011" that is free and will attach to an email if you would like to have a copy.

Send an email to JSAXL********

Perhaps you can think of a song to add.

Yes, "The Wanderer" is a great song. I have a live version with Dave Edmunds recorded at The Venue, London, 1982. I like the tenorsolo on that recording. I don't know who did it. Any CS member that knows?

Boots Randolph was one of the best Rocksax players. The master of the "Chicken" sax. He could really play strutty and staccato! And fast as well. I have a promotion single (7" single, Hi label) with Randolph playing in a furios tempo in the end of the song. Bill Black's Combo is backing. Another good chicken player was Steve Douglas.

Last edited by a moderator: