support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Who knows G4M's "Howard" saxes?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
:confused:

I think these were G4M's premier range before they changed to Rosedale due to some trade name issues?

Has anyone played a G4M "Howard" Tenor?

What did you think?

Any other knowledge on this brand/model?

Thanks!!

:cheers:

Yes, if I understand correctly (you never know, it might happen one day), "Howard" is what they called their "Rosedale" range before Stephen Howard persuaded them to change it. I don't know if there's been any change in design or manufacture since then, but I'm quite happy with my Rosedale tenor, which i've had for 2.5 years.

But I can't help wondering why you're buying so many saxes when you haven't been playing for very long. My advice, FWIW, would be to just settle on one (doesn't matter what as long as it's in good working order) and really get to know it.

Yes, if I understand correctly (you never know, it might happen one day), "Howard" is what they called their "Rosedale" range before Stephen Howard persuaded them to change it. I don't know if there's been any change in design or manufacture since then, but I'm quite happy with my Rosedale tenor, which i've had for 2.5 years.

But I can't help wondering why you're buying so many saxes when you haven't been playing for very long. My advice, FWIW, would be to just settle on one (doesn't matter what as long as it's in good working order) and really get to know it.

Wise words from Big Martin.

There's no point trying to compete against Usain Bolt when you only learning to walk.:)

Maybe he's trying to keep with Davey, Jon and Rhys with their saxophone collections:)))

Greg S.

Sound advice for me too.

Thanks
Clive

Nothing wrong with owning a couple of saxophones but on one. It is nice to compare the sound of my Martins to the sound of my everyday sax. Keeps me motivated to practice more so that I can play them in the near future. My motivation. Have also got a tenor and a soprano that are urging me on!

...just settle on one (doesn't matter what as long as it's in good working order) and really get to know it.

I 100% understand what you're saying and half of me agrees totally (the sensible half!) and I said exactly the same thing to my sax tutor after yesterday's lesson.

I do realise I'm a bit of a sax addict, but I did exactly the same with target rifles & pistols, and then cameras, and a bit of prudent buying allowed me to try out a good selection of models at my leisure, sometimes with 3 or 4 similar ones on the go at the same time, before selling on the ones which didn't suit me.

In that way I ended up with the best (for me) target rifle, pistol, and camera, all of which I had put through their paces over a period of time rather than just having a brief try out at a retailer. It's not what most people would do, but you must admit it's a way of ensuring you end up with what's right for you.

At the moment I'm more than happy with the Buffet 400 Alto, and that's all I'm playing and learning on. But who knows, something may just catch my roving eye which when tried surpasses it.

I know it's naughty of me.... but it's nice too!

:)

Yes, if I understand correctly (you never know, it might happen one day), "Howard" is what they called their "Rosedale" range before Stephen Howard persuaded them to change it.

I don't know the full story, but it might have been howardmusic.co.uk as well as or rather than our Stephen Howard. Either way it would have been a bad confusion of the marketplace.

Rather than one of these Partly because I had a bad customer service experience that I don't intend to go into), I would consider one of these Jerichos or a bauhaus if you want a high quality budget horn with great UK customer service and attitude along with a great horn.

It's not what most people would do, but you must admit it's a way of ensuring you end up with what's right for you.
If i had the spare cash i would be doing what you are doing, nothing better as a 'pick me up' to buy a new toy :) and yes it is a good way of getting what's right for you (at this moment in time).
My only question is....Have you sorted a mouthpiece/reed set up you are happy with ? if not you could be trying a lot of sax's and getting the wrong feedback.

Steve Howard also seemed to have a poor view of G4M in 2008, post #11 here: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?88996-Walstein-Rosedale

He's since put G4M back on his recommended list (bottom of page, with link to review): http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Ultra_Cheap_horns.htm

The G4M "Howard tenor" I've come across in "mint" condition is £150.
There's an original Walstein Tenor, the model reviewed by Steve Howard, for £300.
And a Bauhaus-Walstein "original" Tenor, a year old for £400.
Or, as you say, a J6 for £350 and up, brand new with 3yr warranty.
The brand new Buffet 400 matte Tenor at £899 is a step too far.

I guess the Howard would be tricky to sell on, the two Walsteins easier and priced right. Anything new loses value.

I'm sure even the G4M would outclass my old Russian Tenor, when fixed up.

You do realise these are the ramblings of someone with severe GAS? Still, I think you are enjoing my forays so far?

:thankyou:

Last edited by a moderator:
If i had the spare cash i would be doing what you are doing, nothing better as a 'pick me up' to buy a new toy :) and yes it is a good way of getting what's right for you (at this moment in time).
My only question is....Have you sorted a mouthpiece/reed set up you are happy with ? if not you could be trying a lot of sax's and getting the wrong feedback.

With the Buffet Alto 400 I'm getting on fine with Yamaha 4C and Rico 3 (orange). I have a Runyon 22 #6 and various other reeds to try out (Java 2 recommended for this by Allegro oxford) but at the moment it's squeaking a little for me so I'll stick to the 4C whilst I'm learning the fingering.

For a tenor, I'd probably start the same with a Yamaha. The grey plastic jobbie of the Russian Tenor is a Rico I think but my sax tech didn't think much of it!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom