• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Which Tenor saxophone to choose

From Your opinions Yamaha seems the best option. However I can't stop thinking about the Thomann model.

I'll admit, it's a handsome devil! And once you set your eyes on something, no amount of logical arguments will persuade you to buy otherwise. SO no point looking for second opinions. Buy IT! Play IT! If you'll love it, you will spend many happy hours together. Looks matter… Otherwise horns with different finishes would cost the same and clearly they don't. Traditional finishes seem to be cheaper these days…
IF you hate it or find some faults with it send it back. Thomman has great customer service.
 
I had a copper tenor for a while. Copper body with brass keys. I took it to the local meet and proudly displayed it on it's stand. Sounded ok. Just like a tenor. I overheard somebody at the interval commenting " Looks like a coal scuttle" And so it was christened.
coal scuttle.webp
 
I would agree with the views expressed here so far. If you cant try them go for the Yamaha as even their student instrument models should play well out of the box and can be set up by a tech almost anywhere. I have played a Yamaha student flute for the last 40 years and it plays better than ever. I went for a Keilwerth sax but then I could try them and it just had the sound I was looking for. All the best
 
Two Year old thread, and OP hasn't logged on for 2 Years. Funnily enough 2 Years ago I was making the same decision on a Tenor. Plumped for a YTS 280 on the basis of reputation and ability to move it on if the new hobby didn't stick. As I was a newbie and didn't know anyone who played Sax who could give me an informed opinion, I thought it would be the sensible option. Can't be certain it was the best option for me at the time, but I certainly haven't regretted it.
 
Do they resemble the TJ Signature Custom horns a bit? Maybe I'm seeing things.

Yes they do. But then so do most horns on the market these days.
Triple point bell braces, ergonomic side/top F# keys, double cup arms, swivelling octave mechs, fork and pin connectors on side keys, semi-circular compound bell key pillars...everyone's doing much the same thing.
But if you think you're gonna get a RAW for £1200, I reckon you might be rather disappointed.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,067
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom