support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Which Tenor SAX ??

Chris Jones

Hi All Back again after a very long time away.

Firstly My apologies Pete if I have posted in the wrong Section…As stated "its been a long time"

I did play the Yani T991 so used to a good Horn. Sadly sold due to expensive Divorce costs. So my pockets are low and my need high for a Quality but not to expensive Tenor Horn…As A guide I have looked at the Walstein, Trevor James 11 BS, Bauhaus Walstein TS Bronze and a little High price is the Bauhaus Pro M2. Any advice please on other options. Guess I need a Rolls Royce for A Seat Price. No Offence if you drive a Seat..

I recently got an older YTS 32 (yamaha) for about £700 - absolutely love it - I've seen them go cheaper. It's modern day equivalent is the YTS 475 (intermediate horn) but I think the old ones have a better rep. I tried it out against some horns about three times the price and could not fault the tone, action and easy blowing - The P Mauriat 66R would be my horn of choice though, as slightly more complex sound and a tad louder, if I could find one for less than a G! Also, many players do rate these as a pro level horn.

I recently got an older YTS 32 (yamaha) for about £700 - absolutely love it - I've seen them go cheaper. It's modern day equivalent is the YTS 475 (intermediate horn) but I think the old ones have a better rep. I tried it out against some horns about three times the price and could not fault the tone, action and easy blowing - The P Mauriat 66R would be my horn of choice though, as slightly more complex sound and a tad louder, if I could find one for less than a G! Also, many players do rate these as a pro level horn.

Roger of Allegro Oxford has a Purple Logo YTS-32 great value horns

Get yourself a Phil Barone vintage....direct from err Phil Barone probably on the same par as an M2, better than the cheaper ones and not much more. Loads of different finishes as well!

I've had mine just over a year now without any problems, although some of the keys are getting a bit noisy now so will need to be serviced soon.

Give our birdman a ring, Pete Scaddan at Studio saxophones in Wales.He has some top pro used tenors in now and he deals many others,gives you a great deal.

Give our birdman a ring, Pete Scaddan at Studio saxophones in Wales.He has some top pro used tenors in now and he deals many others,gives you a great deal.

Thanks for the shout out Dave :) As it happens i have a System 54 Vintage Gold Tenor used a few times on demo set up by Justin Pavey killer horn cheaper than an M2

Or try Howarth's "Chiltern" line of saxes, they're staggeringly similar to the Barone horns. Very well made Taiwanese gear - I've had one as my back-up tenor for a couple of years.

Or try Howarth's "Chiltern" line of saxes, they're staggeringly similar to the Barone horns. Very well made Taiwanese gear - I've had one as my back-up tenor for a couple of years.
The Chilterns i've seen had a rather funky looking bracket suporting the neck, although the rest of the sax did look typical Taiwanese.

Had a quick look through Birdmans website and his "Parker" range are absolutely identical to my Barone, the same Pisioni Italian pads, even the engraving is the same, the only difference is the Parker ones have the much nicer Abaloney key touches...mine has plain pearl.

I was looking at the Barone Tenor Sax's a while back - I asked Phil (Barone) how they compare specifically to the P Mauirat 66 R and he said he did not know as not tried the 66R (???!) - has anyone else made a direct comparison and care to comment?

+ 1 for System 54 saxes. I recently exchanged my Yani T901 for a System 54 Tenor and it is excellent - larger bore, good ergonomics and lovely sound (though that is down to me, of course!).

I once compared Phil Barone to Phil Engelman, and prefer the work of the latter - on mouthpieces that is! Never tried a Barone sax, nor even a Baritone sax.

Have played Selmers, Yani`s, Yamahas, etc., etc., and liked them all. I`ve recently swapped an old Conn for a new BW de-luxe (action improved) and been pleasantly surprised. It`s really good! If cost is a major fact, the BW won`t let you down. Lot of pro`s play them. When you get rich again, buy back your `whatever` and keep the BW as a workhorse!

Back
Top Bottom