support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Where to get spares - screws

jeremyjuicewah

Hi Guys. I need a short screw for my Noble tenor. Its for the B bis rod, has small screw at each end that the rod turns on. I will look around, Dawkes etc, should really keep some spare bits, but are these screws pretty well universal or by make or age or what?

Cheers
Mike

It would be nice if they were universal, but unfortunately they are specific to each brand and sometimes to each model. My advice would be to take the sax to a repair shop to see if they have something in stock to match the existing pivot screws. If they don't have one, oftentimes they can modify one that is close to make it work or even make one from scratch. It would help to know whether it is the "Vito" Noblet or the Beaugnier. @Stephen Howard may know what pivot screw works on those. I haven't seen any around where I live in the states.

Its the Beaugnier. My repair guy is 350km away but I will be there in a few weeks to collect some horns he is working on now. I will drop it off for him to go over. Hoped I might be able to buy a pack of assorted screws, but had an inkling this would be the way to go.

Question, if you do not mind. How do you know so much about so many aspects of saxophones and playing? Were you forced to engage with them as a child?

Thanks
Mike

Question, if you do not mind. How do you know so much about so many aspects of saxophones and playing? Were you forced to engage with them as a child?

Thanks
Mike
I started playing saxophone when I was 10 (I will turn 69 this year). :w00t: Rather than being forced to play as a youngster, I practiced so many hours a day, my mom would bribe me to go outside and play ball with the other kids to give her ears a break. I studied saxophone performance and music ed in college and taught band for 32 years before retiring in 2002. From there I went into an apprenticeship in an instrument repair shop for 7 years where I studied woodwind repair. In 2009 I opened my own repair shop specializing in saxophone repair. I am doing what I love to do and people pay me to do it. It doesn't get any better than that. :cool:

I started playing saxophone when I was 10 (I will turn 69 this year). :w00t: Rather than being forced to play as a youngster, I practiced so many hours a day, my mom would bribe me to go outside and play ball with the other kids to give her ears a break. I studied saxophone performance and music ed in college and taught band for 32 years before retiring in 2002. From there I went into an apprenticeship in an instrument repair shop for 7 years where I studied woodwind repair. In 2009 I opened my own repair shop specializing in saxophone repair. I am doing what I love to do and people pay me to do it. It doesn't get any better than that

I do not think that it could get any better than that. I know we often dont choose things, they appeal or they dont, but how happy that your way worked out. I have a son who would not put down his guitar, still will not (though he has to in order to thrash the children now and then) and he is now a professional musician, with degree, trumpet and guitar, playing anywhere from west end shows to the local grot pit. I hover between jealousy and pride, its the life I would have chosen had it not been that I found guitar and music hard work when I was young and I did not do hard work. It finds you out in the end.

Congrats

Ha, found the little sucker. The missing screw I mean. Its about 12mm long and I am not only proud I found it, I am amazed and delighted that I could see it. I have been on hands and knees half a dozen times, all over that floor, some of it is tiled so I have had to cover the whole lot in case it bounced, and the $%&" little wossname was at my feet as I looked down in practice tonight. That will prompt a total check tighten of every screw on every horn I have so goodbye peace of mind for a week or two. But how good to have the Noblet back.

Cheers all
Mike

That will prompt a total check tighten of every screw on every horn I have so goodbye peace of mind for a week or two.
Careful - point screws adjust the movement of the keys and if you over tighten them you'll have an unplayable sax or three. Best to check for movement, adjust properly, then put some clear nail varnish over loose ones.

I know several who are amazing machinists as well. With a lathe and milling machine they can make just about any screw or part that you could ever need (if you have enough money).

You are absolutey right. My own tech will make any part, beautifully, and also makes body parts for clarinets when needed. A lathe to me is just a scalping machine.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom