support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Ligature screws

Doodah

Hello all
Have had a few ligature screws break on my bari recently. I bought a rubber Otto Link mp a few years ago and have been using original ligature since. Did buy an expensive Vandoren Optimum ligature but it was too small to fit bari or tenor Selmer soloist mp.
The original Otto Link screws broke, first one a year ago, maybe, so I packed tenor BG or Rovner ligatures in the bari case. Didn't like them any more on the tenor. Then I ended up buying a cheap tenor ligature, just to get the screws. Was doing a gig before Christmas and both screws snapped in the first half. Had to play bari line for one piece on alto before hasty exit stage left to retrieve spare ligature.
Some other guys suggested cable ties in the case or having to use sellotape to get through the gig. Have cable ties now in the case.
Looking for suggestions on sourcing suitable ligature screws. I don't know the thread size, but that should be easy enough to find out. Getting screws suitable for thumb tightening seems to be more difficult.

I don't believe I am tightening the screws too tight; I've been doing this for 35 years now. Maybe metals are just getting worse...

I've been playing for a similar length of time and never once snapped a lig screw. They don't need to be tight, just finger tight to stop the reed moving about. I have to say, I think you must be overtightening them.

Lost a lig a couple of times, and used string or sellotape for emergency repairs. Why don't you like BG or Rovner? I think they're fine. If skint, you can get similar ligs for three quid from China.

Ligature screws should only be tightened until they are "snug"---not tight. I like to leave the front slightly looser than the back to allow the reed to vibrate more freely. Putting a dab of grease on the threads will give both neck screws and ligature screws a better "feel" when you tighten them carefully. Common ligature screw thread sizes are 6-32, 6-36, 8-32, 8-36, and 4x.75 metric.

I had the head of a lig screw snap off when I dropped it on the floor - the impact force of a lig falling from a height of a metre shouldn't be enough to snap a brass screw like that, but most of these things are made in China where poor quality brass and low standards of manufacturing can exist. Entire batches of nuts and bolts get rejected for failing to meet the strength tests, so something like a ligature screw which is never likely to be subject to such scrutiny isn't likely to be made to the highest standards.
Getting replacement lig screws seems difficult in the UK, but you can get cheap metal;ligs from Windcraft who do them in different sizes Baritone Saxophone Ligatures And Caps
contact them and ask which one fits your Link, the phone number's at the bottom of the webpage above

The modern hr Otto Link baritone mouthpiece fits standard tenor ligatures... because it's a "slimmer" profile baritone mouthpiece.

Selmer S80/S90 (and an old Soloist), Vandoren Optimum/V5 fit a "full size" baritone ligature.

If you want a Rovner ligature which fits the hr modern Link... you need a size "2R" (or L8 if it's a Rovner Light).

Personally I'll avoid BG Ligatures, expecially the fabrik models (Standard, Standard Jazz etc etc).

Back
Top Bottom