support Tone without tears Beginners' impro Patterns & exercises

SOTM March 2024 - The Sound of...

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
I am such a dreadful fellow I forgot to post yesterday at the start of the month. Ironic, but not deliberately so; I have chosen, "The Sound of Silence"

I heard Snake Davis playing this a couple of weeks ago and it occured to me it's a good choice for beginners and the more seasoned alike; the notes are long and song very familiar

The backing goes through the song three times. If you'd like more goes, but need me to extend the backing, I can do that

Thank you very much @nigeld for sorting the sheets and backing track

They are here

Who will be first to break the silence?

Ivan

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen to The Sound of Silence.wav by Colin the Bear on #SoundCloud
The heat of the banjos behind your cool and confident alto... a new and exciting flavour for a long established number

Your full tone in the upper register sings out in this number

Bravo

I think the best bit of my recording
is the backing track. 🤗
That first note seems to quack. 🦆
I was going to rerecord it but what the heck. It is what it is. I'm playing a lot of jazz lately. I seem to have got into the the habit of being behind the beat.

I was searching round for good saxophone recordings of this month's tune and found a nice alto version on YouTube by Gianni Di Iorio. It's in a smooth jazz / pop style that isn't really my thing, but I transcribed it and made a backing track with BiaB that matches his (he had some tricky 2/4 bars not always in the same place in the verse). Then I played the transcription I had done and slapped on a good amount of reverb.

The Sound of Silence - Rhys Alto V1.mp3 | Powered by Box

Rhys

I was searching round for good saxophone recordings of this month's tune and found a nice alto version on YouTube by Gianni Di Iorio. It's in a smooth jazz / pop style that isn't really my thing, but I transcribed it and made a backing track with BiaB that matches his (he had some tricky 2/4 bars not always in the same place in the verse). Then I played the transcription I had done and slapped on a good amount of reverb.

The Sound of Silence - Rhys Alto V1.mp3 | Powered by Box

Rhys
Most excellent, solid, sweet melody x2, I like that interlude with the piano, confident solo and back to the finale

What I've not heard, so far, is a dramtic change in dynamics

I think the song can lend itself to a pianissssimo start and a fforte finish. Big dynamic changes are welcome, if anyone gets the urge

Hope you don't mind a beginner attempt at this.

I'm playing Disturbed's cover version of this song in the key of concert A major. I mostly played it straight off a score that I found on MuseScore, though I did not use the backing instruments from that score but instead made a backing track with Band-in-a-Box with the help of online chord websites.

There are a couple of single-measure 2/4 time signatures that proved to be tricky to do well in BiaB, if you hear a few jarring transitions in the backing track, that's probably it. It was originally worse, the style I used (_DECIM83.STY) had a synth pad track which simply did not work at all so I replaced it with "2452:String Quartet".

Working in Reaper, I slapped on a little bit of limiter, compressor, eq and reverb but to be honest, I don't know what I'm doing! I just picked some preset settings and adjusted from there, mainly trying to get the beginning verses to be not too quiet compared to the later parts since Disturbed's version has a quiet beginning and continually ramps up similar to what @Ivan is asking for.

View: https://soundcloud.com/adrian-learns-to-sax/the-sound-of-silence-disturbed

Your honest feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Listening on headphones, I think the saxophone should be a bit louder (say 10-15% relatively) in the mix in the first half of the recording (not that the overall volume should be louder). The mix was better starting around 2:25 IMO.

I hope you don't mind a beginner attempt at this
I'm playing Disturbed's cover version of this song in the key of concert A major
Your honest feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Well done

You've captured the feel of Disturbed's version very well. Your dynamics progress up-and-up as the song gets into its stride. I can hear you gaining confidence as the song builds...

You clearly have the Disturbed version in your head, and you play to it...

You mention a Musescore sheet for this number that you are reading from. How about playing without the score by memorising the notes?... Then you'll have even more room in your head to experiment with your timing on and off the beat, and/or modulating your tone... You can play as accurately and tightly or as cheesily or loosely as you like to get a sense of how you want to sound... essentially listening to yourself as you play

As for compression & eq & reverb etc... there are a very few right answers and a very few morsels of informed advice on the internet. Those that are there imply... "These are the ways I do it, but really you need to listen and experiment to find what you like, because there is no right answer"

Ivan

p.s. If you have the same chin piercings as David Draiman, please do tell if they enhance your embouchure

You mention a Musescore sheet for this number that you are reading from. How about playing without the score by memorising the notes?... Then you'll have even more room in your head to experiment with your timing on and off the beat, and/or modulating your tone... You can play as accurately and tightly or as cheesily or loosely as you like to get a sense of how you want to sound... essentially listening to yourself as you play
Thanks for the feedback, it's very educational.

I did consider full memorization before playing to a karaoke backing track that I found on Youtube, but this was an early opportunity where I had some peace and quiet, the kids not around, so I decided to take advantage of the situation and try recording with the sheet music as I hadn't fully memorized the song yet.

p.s. If you have the same chin piercings as David Draiman, please do tell if they enhance your embouchure
Haha no, I think that's just a quirk of the art filter I used which over-emphasized my unshaved chin.

Some very nice takes by @Colin the Bear (waking up from hibernation and hungry, I assume :) ) @rhysonsax, thanks, very laid back, and @atwl77, not very beginnerish, at least you hide it well.

Yeah, I got tired of shoveling snow all weekend and playing blues with a 3 chord band and then I found a nice piano track here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JunDpfULv88

I contacted the artist for permission to use his track but haven't heard back yet so I only put this up on Dropbox

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Forum statistics

Topics
Members
Latest member
Miraven
Back
Top Bottom