support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds When to change reeds

ChampagneBears

How does one know it’s time to switch an old reed out for a new reed? Also, how does one know it’s time to increase reed strength by say 0.5?

I’m using Rico Orange 2.5 right now wth a Yamaha 4C. I rotate 5 reeds (half the box). All the reeds look fine, not chipped or broken but today, I think I blew so hard it closed the reed and no sound came out. I had to loosen my embouchure to get sound out. This has not happened to me before. Is the reed getting too soft? I purchased this box of reeds in August 2020, and I don’t practice all that much, maybe average of 40 minutes every other day (if even that, because sometimes I can go for weeks without practicing).

I also just put a mouthpiece patch on my mouthpiece. Could that be the culprit or just a coincidence?

How does one know it’s time to switch an old reed out for a new reed?
When the reed is damaged and not workable. I use(d) (not doing it so much any more) to cut the tip of the reed with a reed trimmer and work with different files, razor blade, "sandpaper" ... to renew the reeds. I use old reeds as wedges to put under the keyfeet if you want a pad to burn in or just to close an open pad.
Also, how does one know it’s time to increase reed strength by say 0.5?
When you want to play things that a soft reed don't allow you to do in the way you like. A harder reed use to give you a louder tone.
I think I blew so hard it closed the reed and no sound came out. I had to loosen my embouchure to get sound out. This has not happened to me before. Is the reed getting too soft?
It can be too soft or too hard. Depends on what you think the tone that you are blowing should sound like. "Soft and pretty" or "hard and powerful". I don't think your face muscles are different from other muscles. You must practice so you can have the tone/sound you want.
I also just put a mouthpiece patch on my mouthpiece. Could that be the culprit or just a coincidence?
A mouthpice patch can give you a more "open" tone because you open the mouth more. I think modern designed mouthpiece with "comfort beak" and a thinn patch gives you a closed tone. But old designed beaks and thick patches gives you a bigger sound. I started to use mouthpiece patches before they were invented. I took the backside rubber, with the yellow foam, from a table tennis rack. 2-4 mm thick, and glued it on with contact glue on the mouthpiece. Good for my tone and comfort but maybe not to my health?

IMHO one has to commit (time and some money) to learning about reeds. Be prepared to try and make mistakes; throw away good reeds, butcher some with a knife, sand paper etc. buy a box which you only use some or put aside and find are fine in a year or two...
If you go through all the discussions here and elsewhere, it appears that preferences are quite personal and - especially for a beginner - can change with time, let alone style, mouthpiece etc.

The reed could be too soft or you could be biting. You don't play regularly so it is probably worth your while to improve your embouchure before splashing tons of money at reeds. Otherwise try a box of 3s and see if that works.

When to replace a reed is up to the player. There is no hard and fast rule.

Reeds from the same manufacturer in the same strength can feel to vary even in the same box.
Trying something else is always a good idea and only limited by financial concerns.
Vandoren come in three packs. Variety or all the same.
Juno is equivalent to D'Addario Orange.

Try to play every day if only for 10 minutes. Your embouchure needs more maintenance than the reeds or the horn.

Cane reeds do wear out after playing for a period of time. To me they seem to go softer and I used to tell my students it was because their saliva digested a tiny amount of the cane every time they played. I found out later that was not true. Now I believe the fibers in the cane begin to break down or deteriorate over time and the reed looses its "springiness".

I know it is time to retire a reed when it begins to be less responsive and feels stuffy or play with what I call a "tubby" sound. It happens to all cane reeds no matter how well we care for them. That is why when I find what I call my "pet reed" I save it just for performances and use my "just about as good" reeds to practice and rehearse with.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Some stuff to try for sure. I already have a 3-pack of Rico Royals 2.5. Maybe I should give them a try. Variety packs are a great idea!

@jbtsax, it does make sense that reeds break down over time. I get a sense that maybe it's time to retire my set of 5 rotation reeds.

@Colin the Bear, I agree with you about playing every day, even if it's for only 10 minutes. I will try to do that. My embouchure actually deteriorates if I don't practice for 1 or 2 days. Clearly noticeable.

I replace them when they lose their body of sound and become lighter and respond weird.
The first symptom is the loss of body of sound. The sound is thin and buzzy ..... This gets on my nerves..... :)

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom