All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Beginner Is it time to change my reed?

Juju_Birdie

Hello there:)

I picked up my sax yesterday and I sounded dreadful. Just flat notes everywhere. Is that an indication I should pop a new reed on?

(Please say yes because I also had friends around at the weekend and they knocked my sax off it's stand when I was out of the room ...)

Also- what are mouthpiece patches meant to do? I haven't used any.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Ouch, re knocking it off the stand, could be related to that I guess but one of our techs will be better placed to advise.

If you have had your reed a while, assuming it is cane worth trying a new one.

That said I can have days where everything sounds dreadful, a reed change can help but sometimes it's just a bad day.

A mouthpiece patch protects your mouthpiece from teeth marks. It can also help you make sure you play with consistency. @jbtsax uses them for beginners to ensure the teeth are in the same place by marking a groove in it.

Hope your sax is ok :)

Jx

Jx

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Did you do a visual inspection of you horn to see if there are any signs of the fall? Then, verify that all keys do move properly and most importantly close off completely.

It may not be so obvious without a leak light.

You can also play from top, or highest notes down and see if there is a break point.

If one of the palm keys took a hit, it will have a consequence all the way down... Octave keys too must be checked, mostly the neck one as it's more exposed and vulnerable...

Any knowledgeable player in your area that could help you?

OP
Juju_Birdie

Juju_Birdie

I might get in touch with my old teacher. I kind of want to ask my friends how big a knock it took

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Funny, I was just realizing yesterday that the reed I like the best is the one I've been using the longest! By that I mean weeks, even months. I have three main reeds and they're marked by time. One was opened a week ago, another two or three weks ago. I always go back that first one. They say a box of 10 reeds may contain only a few that are top notch. In any case, more directly related to your question, I would definitely try a different reed if you feel you're not playing to your ability. It's true that sound and precision are going to vary daily for a few years (or more?), but it's worth trying a different reed, and keeping the current one as well. Go back and forth a couple of times the same day and see if there's a difference.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom