PPT mouthpieces

What type of music do you play ?

I mostly play in ensembles/orchestras of some sort. Cello gets a surprising mix of music: classical, film music, music theatre. I try to do chamber music, but it's not easy to find people to play trios and quartets with. Sax has mostly been played in large wind bands, so that again means playing a huge range of styles.

I've only managed to play big band (which is one of the things I really want to do) on a couple of summer schools.

Viols are primarily consort instruments and the majority of the repertoire is renaissance and early baroque. Unfortunately, a lack of players round here means I don't get to play.

Bass is new and I suspect in the short term it will be rock and blues type of stuff as that seems to be the 'standard' way in. Again, I would be aiming for jazz and big band on bass.

Last edited:
Easy answer for me:
Wikiloops Backing Tracks
230+ tracks there from me in all styles. You say you just "discovered" piano backing tracks? All of the tracks in this link (which is on this site) are with backing tracks for you to have a go. It's a 100% improvisation exercise, so there is no sheet music. Everything is an original made up by members of wikiloops. If you're interested in improvisation in a wide range of styles I think you'll enjoy the ride.
I’ve never downloaded any music in my life. I don’t have internet or a computer so can’t. The only reason I have internet to come to this site is because it comes with my phone.

I’m not looking for back tracks just for practicing. I’m looking for backtracks I can use to record my singing or playing and like piano only since I like piano and want to keep it simple.

What I don’t understand about these files you showed me is that I don’t know what songs they are and what instruments are used. Perhaps I should start a new thread for this considering I know NOTHING about

Last edited by a moderator:
As I play baritone with Cafe octet, it is whatever @tenorviol or @chadders bring to our meetings. that means anything from 14th century up to now.:)

Classic Soul, big band, dance band
Have been listening to more jazz and some dance stuff of late to try something new

Now driving a distance for exercise is going to be allowed we can rent the carpark at heald green. Then social distancing will not be a problem.

14th century ? :eek:
I haven't gone quite as far as getting them to play Sumer is icumen in which is C14th...

We have played an arrangement of Holborne's The Honie-Suckle which was part of a set of Pavans and Galliards that he published in 1599, although it is in fact an almain.

This is a rather anodyne performance on viol consort - bit weird one treble, one tenor and three basses, two of the basses looking to be smaller consort basses.

This is better, more of an English broken consort. This one is OK but use of (even) baroque violins is questionable... (says person who's made an arrangement for saxes... :)) .

This one is probably nearest stylistically to what we should do on saxes - complete with improvs

View: https://youtu.be/-gQXR-9LDx4

I haven't gone quite as far as getting them to play Sumer is icumen in which is C14th...

We have played an arrangement of Holborne's The Honie-Suckle which was part of a set of Pavans and Galliards that he published in 1599, although it is in fact an almain.

This is a rather anodyne performance on viol consort - bit weird one treble, one tenor and three basses, two of the basses looking to be smaller consort basses.

This is better, more of an English broken consort. This one is OK but use of (even) baroque violins is questionable... (says person who's made an arrangement for saxes... :)) .

This one is probably nearest stylistically to what we should do on saxes - complete with improvs

View: https://youtu.be/-gQXR-9LDx4
WOW! That is some really ‘fine’ playing even for a saxophone forum. :sax:

One of the trumpets has shrunk!
He must have put it in the tumble drier.
Yeah, those piccolo trumpets are tricksy - don't feed them fat New Orleans jazz and they shrink

Party music for people to have fun and to dance at wedding receptions, private functions, company parties, high school/college reunions with our main band. Also club gigs with other bands for dancing and fun times! Also play in the local concert band.