All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

What type of music do you play ?

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Of course the most popular answer will be jazz but the saxophone is versatile.

When I first started, most of my music was jazz but now I prefer playing pop.
I’ve discovered piano accompaniment backtracks which are lovely since I can sing or play. Of course I still play some jazz but not as much.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Easy answer for me:
Wikiloops Backing Tracks
230+ tracks there from me in all styles. You say you just "discovered" piano backing tracks? All of the tracks in this link (which is on this site) are with backing tracks for you to have a go. It's a 100% improvisation exercise, so there is no sheet music. Everything is an original made up by members of wikiloops. If you're interested in improvisation in a wide range of styles I think you'll enjoy the ride.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
This has been the hardest question for me to answer for the past 20 years on guitar. Initially, it would have been "blues-rock", but then I discovered harmony and jazz. I have never been capable of playing it, though, only learning from it. Today, I still can't answer the question when asked. I'm still looking to define my own "vibe", and I don't see that happening in any major trend.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Big question.... does anyone esle feel they have different characters or voices they use when playing? personally I find I've got several musical personas who come to the fore in different musical contexts...

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
With the Band it was Contemporary Pop/Rock with a bit of Ska. At Home, it's whatever comes into my Head or on the Radio. Some Jazz, but not a huge amount. I think, for whatever reason, Jazz is a touching point for many threads and postings on here, but it's pretty evident many here listen to and play a much broader range of musical genres.

Dave E

I'm enjoying playing pop and some rock, with backing tracks. Stuff like: True, Your Latest trick, Havana, Careless whisper, various Queen, Born to Run but still enjoy jazz and show stuff. A musical mongrel I guess..

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Recently I have found my love of vintage blues and R&B plus my interst in Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler etc has led me to a place where the rock and roll crowd regard me as a weird jazz player and the weird jazz crowd regard me as as a rock and roller.... I've had a point where I can p*ss off more or less everyone!!!
interestingly I have found three like-minded individuals and our band, Caaw, We have done a fine job of paddling ourselves against the tide way up the river of potential commercial viability!!
Oh that John Peel was still around ...

Clivey

I suffer from imposter syndrome and this kicks over every aspect of every aspect and genre of my life and music haha. The closest I have felt to playing any genre with any degree of authenticity, conviction and real credibility was the time I spent Busking in Tenerife. I would class this as wild unta med, folk ,latinesque world music, lol,

plus I was almost making enough dough too . I look forward to doing this again ASAP.
I think my most recent creations fit in to the genre I have outlined.

jbtsax

Subscriber
Through college as a music major I played a great deal of classical solo literature. I also played alto (mostly) in the symphonic band and to this day still love the literature I became familiar with. At the same time I played lead alto in the university jazz ensemble at a time when Count Basie/Sammy Nestico and Patrick Williams arrangements were popular. I also played lots of gigs in a jazz quartet for country club and social club dances and fraternity parties. Our set list included swing, bossa nova, 50 and 60's rock and pop tunes. I love all styles of music I am familiar with (and can relate to) ,and at my age I play less difficult classical pieces and jazz tunes I like just for fun.

OP
N

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Big question.... does anyone esle feel they have different characters or voices they use when playing? personally I find I've got several musical personas who come to the fore in different musical contexts...
Absolutely but isn’t that why it is so versatile. Saxophone is in rock, jazz, some county, rock, classical, pop etc. It’s the same with the human voice. The style of the voice changes to match the style or musical genre. Another reason to love the sax.

OP
N

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Through college as a music major I played a great deal of classical solo literature. I also played alto (mostly) in the symphonic band and to this day still love the literature I became familiar with. At the same time I played lead alto in the university jazz ensemble at a time when Count Basie/Sammy Nestico and Patrick Williams arrangements were popular. I also played lots of gigs in a jazz quartet for country club and social club dances and fraternity parties. Our set list included swing, bossa nova, 50 and 60's rock and pop tunes. I love all styles of music I am familiar with (and can relate to) ,and at my age I play less difficult classical pieces and jazz tunes I like just for fun.
So very cool. :)

OP
N

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
I think, for whatever reason, Jazz is a touching point for many threads and postings on here, but it's pretty evident many here listen to and play a much broader range of musical genres.
I agree and am pleasantly surprised.
This isn’t at all what I expected.
Very cool.

OP
N

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Easy answer for me:
Wikiloops Backing Tracks
230+ tracks there from me in all styles. You say you just "discovered" piano backing tracks? All of the tracks in this link (which is on this site) are with backing tracks for you to have a go. It's a 100% improvisation exercise, so there is no sheet music. Everything is an original made up by members of wikiloops. If you're interested in improvisation in a wide range of styles I think you'll enjoy the ride.
Thank you so much. My biggest problem is that I’m computer slow. At the moment I’m on an iPhone but in this next two weeks I’m getting a computer as well as internet. Since living in a rural area we haven’t had the same internet opportunities that most others have so I’m far behind in that area. Hopefully that will change soon and I can share my music here with you all. I’d really like that.:)

TBay

As a bass player it’s a mix of hard rock, punk, grunge in one band and a slightly more sedate mix of rock/ rock pop with a bit of glam chucked in for the wedding/ birthday crowds In the other.
The saxophone will be an entirely different game and I hope to indulge my love of Ska and also some really dirty Southern blues thrown in for good measure.

Ne0Wolf7

I play almost exclusively classical music. I really like playing in a chamber music setting. I've been saying and delaying this statement for a while, but I would love to add jazz (I favor big band stuff) and jazz improvisation to my abilities.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom