support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What one ballad on saxophone do you find most "hauntingly beautiful"?

If I didn't acknowledge your post (they're coming in faster than I can keep up), thanks to everyone who has added to this list. Coltrane once used to the phrase, quoted on an album cover, possibly A Love Supreme, something about "so much beauty in the universe". These ballads bear witness.

Here's (I think) a beautiful ensemble piece by a group I never heard of. Found it looking for something else.

@Alice I see what you mean, not exactly jazz, but there is beauty in it. Blade Runner came out in 1982 with this piece from Vangelis. In 1970, I was playing with a guy who wrote a beautiful song. The solo was played on lap steel guitar on the first two chords (GbM7, Fm7) you hear in the beginning of the Vangelis thing. They are conducive to playing beautiful stuff!

Not an awful lot of "Hauntingly Beautiful" on here
Couldn't find any of the tracks that I wanted to suggest so I'll just recommend:
Andy Sheppard
Jan Gabereck
They both do an awful lot've "Hauntingly Beautiful"

Last edited:
Not an awful lot of "Hauntingly Beautiful" on here
Couldn't find any of the tracks that I wanted to suggest so I'll just recommend:
Andy Sheppard
Jan Gabereck
They both do an awful lot've "Hauntingly Beautiful"
Jan Garbarek can certainly do haunting, but trying to find an example of him playing an actual ballad is more difficult, depending on how you define 'ballad' - this might come close
View: https://youtu.be/Z7Q_26UoUNQ

or this

View: https://youtu.be/hWVdJnLR2b8

If I didn't acknowledge your post (they're coming in faster than I can keep up), thanks to everyone who has added to this list. Coltrane once used to the phrase, quoted on an album cover, possibly A Love Supreme, something about "so much beauty in the universe". These ballads bear witness.

Here's (I think) a beautiful ensemble piece by a group I never heard of. Found it looking for something else.
—Pretty sure that's Melissa Aldana playing tenor. Saw her at the Edinburgh Jazz Festival a few years back, she's a great player –lovely tone.