What one ballad on saxophone do you find most "hauntingly beautiful"?

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
I have to say, I've had the same one since I first heard it in the early 1970's on a bootleg of John Coltrane Live in Europe. This take on YouTube is NOT the same, but it isn't bad.
I may have listened under the influence of certain... uh... things, I can't remember. :old:
The haunting part is more in the beginning exposition, but the rest can be trance-inducing.

I'm learning ballads because they are mostly relatively easy to learn (but very hard to master).
I love the changes of Naima and it's my own favorite of all time, but I would love to see

YOUR CHOICE of the ONE ballad you find the most haunting, chill-provoking.

Yes, it's hard to choose one, there are many great players and great songs. But if you choose one, I'll be very interested in checking it out.

I know many say Stan Getz is great at these, does he do your favorite? I love Sonny Rollins, but I can't think of a ballad that gives me chills. Trane has a lot of great stuff, including the Ballads album, but none of them move me as much as Naima. Joe Henderson, one of my favorites, but again, I can't think of one ballad, nor for Wayne Shorter for that matter.

Actually, it occurs to me that The Cost of Living by Michael Brecker in a version I heard from the Brecker Brothers live at New Morning in Paris (possibly a recording off the console) is maybe equal or close to Naima. Brilliant composition and Michael played so incredibly. Kenny Garrett, too, on alto, is crazy good, including a few funky slow tunes on Amandela.
This is my favorite moment on that album, on "Hannibal" from the 2 minute mark :

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
By the way, anyone know great great saxophone versions of Don't Explain or You Don't know What Love Is?
Yes, Chet did one but I'm saying saxophone :) Trane's version of YDKWLI is fabulous. If it wasn't for Naima, that might win my internal contest, too.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
By the way, anyone know great great saxophone versions of Don't Explain or You Don't know What Love Is?
Yes, Chet did one but I'm saying saxophone :) Trane's version of YDKWLI is fabulous. If it wasn't for Naima, that might win my internal contest, too.
Oops yes got carried away with Chet :) but I do love his ballads!

Jx

saxyjt

One proof of my love for Naima is that I engraved the first couple of measures on the entrance board of my music room:

IMG_20180203_215115802.jpg

But one of my next favorite ballad is from Bennie Golson:

I don't know about you, but I can picture her 'déhanché' as she comes along and the guys around that can't keep there eyes from following her legs... :p

jbtsax

old and opinionated
Subscriber
David Halliday, a local musician in Salt Lake City, Utah is possibly the best saxophone player you've never heard of. He grew up in California and studied with Joe Henderson from the time he was in high school. Here is one of his ballads.

Top Bottom