All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Beginner What key to learn these songs in

eb424

Thanks nigeld i didnt think i was particularly daft but this transpositioning thing may be proving otherwise...lol

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
When I started playing sax my teacher loaned me an old C-melody sax that he had in a cupboard. Then I bought a fairly expensive tenor sax. The first time I checked my new sax with a tuner, I was horrified to discover that it was a whole tone flat.

John Setchell

Thanks nigeld i didnt think i was particularly daft but this transpositioning thing may be proving otherwise...lol
I use an app called AudioStretch. I’ve used it for practicing keyboards for a while, but new to tenor. You can change key and tempo of recoded music.
Bit of a faff recording off another device but works great. In theory you can stretch downloaded music, but dear old Apple protect most of it so have to record it.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi thanks tenor viol; it's been a while and thanks to this thread i managed to complete 2 outta 3 but want to do hand bags and glad rags. I hope you dont mind me asking i found the music it has 2 flats. Does this mean that it is in key of Bb major and for tenor sax i need it in c major. thanks Eddie
Yes - I see Nigeld has replied in detail.

randulo

Positivity-obsessed
Subscriber
Since this keeps coming up, allow me to quote Dave Sanborn (again): "I think in concert."
There are probably disadvantages to this, but it's how I came to the instrument, from guitar,bass, piano, violin, mandolin. The biggest problem is if you take lessons, the teacher might tell you to play a 'G' and on my alto that plays a Bb. I know that note as Bb and if a guitar or piano player wants to play in A, I don't transpose, because... Yes, I think in concert.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Since this keeps coming up, allow me to quote Dave Sanborn (again): "I think in concert."
There are probably disadvantages to this, but it's how I came to the instrument, from guitar,bass, piano, violin, mandolin. The biggest problem is if you take lessons, the teacher might tell you to play a 'G' and on my alto that plays a Bb. I know that note as Bb and if a guitar or piano player wants to play in A, I don't transpose, because... Yes, I think in concert.
I don't think in concert. I think in terms of what's written in front of me. I know if I'm in or out of tune. I play various concert pitch instruments, such as cello and piano, and I have no problems playing transposing instruments such as sax, whether Bb or Eb. I see a G in cello music, I play G. I see a G in sax music, I finger a G - the fact that in concert terms the resulting sound is not a G but something else just doesn't bother me.

randulo

Positivity-obsessed
Subscriber
I don't do that because I don't read music, ever. But I know what you say is right, because any of the best players I have known can transcribe on the fly, i.e., read a chart made for the "other" sax, or a melody in concert. And of course, good musicians such as yourself can know where the notes are and know what the sound is called in concert (or not need to know, as you say).

Top Bottom