support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What, how and why are you transcribing?

Atm I’m doing cannonball adderlys solo on Autumn leaves with miles davis. Last month i was doing a tiny bit of Paul desmonds solo on easy Living. It’s really intresting how you get a feel for how different these players really are, and in some ways also a bit similar.

Hi Seacu, you can make your solo more fluid as you stated, but you did a good job!
And that Trane's solo is really challenging!
Anyway transcibing is the most powerful method to work on many aspects.
You train your ears to identify intervals and chords
you work on jazz language, articulation, different playing styles, and many many other aspects.
I don't want to double post, if you are interested I showed why and how I transcibe a solo here

How do I transcribe a solo?real time practice session video

• Agree
Reactions: Caz
Just done maybe tomorrow billy fury. Sounds ok to me but may not be 100% but close enough,

Next is say mama gene Vincent. Love that era and play along to my little hearts content. Started alto four years ago and had to go as far away from dog as possible as he howled, Now mostly play tenor and dog is almost completely deaf so I have an audience of one. Think he quite likes my style!

Bob Berg's Friday Night at the Cadillac Club .... hmmm :confused::confused2: I think it's going to be a long haul :rofl:

Great song - I love Steely Dan :)
From an early age I've been mildly allergic...

But all these years later I've been asked to play (online) on this and I am pleasantly surprised at what a good number it is, and beautifully put together. I now read that it took Donald Fagen 274 remixes until he was satisfied with this number. That is something to live up to

Last edited:
Over on SOTW someone posted this video of an "unusual" saxophonist.

Maybe I'm going stir crazy after 91 days of lockdown, but I really liked it.

So much so that I transcribed his baritone and that's the first time I've done a non-human soloist (as far as I know).

Take a Walk on the Wild Side - Saxsquatch bari sax V1 - Bari Sax (Saxsquatch).pdf - Box

Rhys

PS Let me know if you spot some errors in my transcription.

Nice sound. Must be using one of those Missing Link pieces

Just finished a big band transcription of Thad Jones: "All My Yesterdays" Transcribing is a very good way to learn about the other instruments, not just your own.

p.s back in the day, when I was fortunate to live in NYC and go hear James Carter at St. Nick's on a Monday night, and the new guys from Lincoln Center at Cleopatra's Needle on the next two or three, all the best saxophone players, when you would talk to them, would tell you to listen to brass players, because you cannot play brass and fail to hear first (to play from what you hear, instead of just kind of moving your fingers around -- you have to prehear, to play brass), and the great brass players would tell you to listen to singers -- all of the mind blowing trumpet players would tell you to listen to singers, usually Louis and Bessie Smith. I doubt any of that has changed, among those who ask themselves, first, "What do I have to say?" I'm surprised by how seldom tenors players claim trombonists as influences. I expect that is a silence of circumstance, not fact.