PPT mouthpieces

Tone What Does A Good Tone Look Like?

Very interesting link, thanks.

I preferred samples G & I myself as I felt they sounded somewhat sweeter and more pure (less tinny harmonics perhaps), but then maybe that's not the essence of sax! They were also a bit quieter as it happened which I think helped as some of the samples seemed a bit raucous to my ears. But then maybe I should have just turned the sound down! How any of that relates to the waveforms I'm not sure although G & I were vaguely similar.

Most interesting. I would pick B and J as being the best overall sounds with J having a slight edge over B even though they are very close. I hear these as the best "raw material" for a beautiful robust saxophone sound once vibrato and the nuances of a musical phrase are added.

The least desirable sounds to me would be I and K. Tones E and F are acceptable, but do not have the resonance or intensity of my favorites B and J. It is entirely coincidental that my favorites happen to be the first 2 initials of my name. Had the examples gone all the way to "T", I may have picked that one as well. Who knows?

Jazzaferi gave the best answer yet.

CandyDulferpng500.png

Seriously, if you open the webpage in two different windows side by side and compare one tone against another picking the better one in each trial to compare with the next on the list, it is easier to come up with the one you prefer. The same system can be used to find the one you like the least by eliminating the better sounding one each time.