support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones What’s the difference?

Moxy

Locality
Wales
Hi, can someone please point out the difference in level and price between the Trevor James, classic ll , revolution ll and the horn 88?
There seams to be very little information and variating prices making no sense?
Thank
Moxy

As far as I can tell, the Classic (II) is a slightly updated Horn. The Revolution is a slightly updated Horn...and the 88 is a special edition version of the Horn.
And then there's the Evo, which would be my pick of the budget TJs.
Your best bet for the definitive answer is to drop TJ a line - they're usually pretty good at customer support.

As far as I can tell, the Classic (II) is a slightly updated Horn. The Revolution is a slightly updated Horn...and the 88 is a special edition version of the Horn.
And then there's the Evo, which would be my pick of the budget TJs.
Your best bet for the definitive answer is to drop TJ a line - they're usually pretty good at customer support.
Thanks, I think I will

Not really, it’s just the one name I’ve heard a lot of! I’ll have a look, thanks

Ah... I remember. You were looking to pay a few hundred for an alto as something different from your tenor. The Evo is new, so that's out. You'll find a TJ Revolution ("The Horn" on the bell) for £200 although prices vary wildly from £150-500 for the same model. Personally, for £200 or less, I'd still highly recommend a lightly used Jericho J6 over a TJ Revolution. Or have you upped your budget?

This may not help, but I did a comparison of my Jericho Vs. my SA80II, here: Saxophones - Review of the 'Academy Jericho' Alto sax & Mk11

I was a beginner back then... still am! :rolleyes:

Where are you based by the way?

Well I’m thinking £300 - £400 really! And was looking at the classic ll but I’ve seen a revolution ll going for £300 to £1200! So was quite confused by where the models lay? Although I’m starting after a long time off from playing the sax I’m looking for something I don’t have to upgrade for a long time, as I intend to upgrade my tenor first! Lol
( there is a method behind my thinking? Lol) I’m from South Wales

Well I’m thinking £300 - £400 really!

Hanson have got a secondhand Elkhart Deluxe alto priced at £399. These are good saxophones, but I would try to negotiate a lower price - £300 would be better. (New price is about £800.)

Hanson have got a secondhand Elkhart Deluxe alto priced at £399. These are good saxophones, but I would try to negotiate a lower price - £300 would be better. (New price is about £800.)
Thanks I’ll take a look now.

Ok-
Classic ll = their default student horn
Revolution ll = the older upgrade version, no longer available
Horn 88 = different design, possibly based on the older Rev 2, but most importantly has a rifled neck so a fair bit of extra projection

@Moxy - There's a Jupiter alto just added to the Yardsale. I've never played one, so I have no idea what it is like, but it's in your price range.

Makes sod all difference, and certainly has nothing to do with projection.
What is the purpose of the internal rifling on TJ and Selmer's "booster" crooks? As well as a fair few of Theo Wanne's mouthpieces?

What is the purpose of the internal rifling on TJ and Selmer's "booster" crooks? As well as a fair few of Theo Wanne's mouthpieces?

Two reasons. To give the ad copy bods something to write about, and to part the gullible from their hard-earned cash.
There's no patent on 'rifled' bores, and on the face of it it's a 'something for nothing' deal. You bung a few grooves in the bore and bingo - extra power and projection. Most players (and manufacturers) would have that for free, and yet it remains a niche mod - unlike, say, the swivelling octave mech, triple-point bell braces, the adjustable thumb rest, offset toneholes etc.

And there's an easy way to test the efficacy of the grooves - fill them up and see if it makes a difference. Some stiff cork grease will do, or you can rub a bit of candle wax into them. Even a bit of sellotape will do at a pinch - though it tends to knock the upper harmonics down a tad.

I tried all three and owned a 88 Horn tenor. My personal opinion - Horn 88 sounds more open and has richer lower end. But that could be down to my mouthpiece matching the 88 better. The champagne finish seems to attract some attention from the ladies during gigs.
Something along the lines: "Oh, I thought it was decor not a real instrument until you played it...."

I tried all three and owned a 88 Horn tenor. My personal opinion - Horn 88 sounds more open and has richer lower end. But that could be down to my mouthpiece matching the 88 better. The champagne finish seems to attract some attention from the ladies during gigs.
Something along the lines: "Oh, I thought it was decor not a real instrument until you played it...."
It's when they say "Oh, I thought it was a real instrument, not decor...until you played it" that you really gotta worry...

Back
Top Bottom