support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Vintage Saxes in a School Auction? In the U.S.

MontyMac

Locality
Houston, Texas
I was perusing one of my local auction houses on Friday and saw some saxes that may be of interest to someone in the Austin/ Central Texas area. (I know, most of the denizens here are on the other side of the pond but one never knows!)
This auction house generally has a few school auctions going on and, of course the pictures are always low quality BUT, occaisionally a “Treasure” may be found there, hence my weekly lookysee.
The one past auction that I went to view here in Houston, and was eventually outbid on, was for a lot of 6 instruments which included a low A MK VI. The whole lot went for $1114. And yes it needed a lot work, but I'm certain the sterling rotor valve baritone would have covered that.
But be that as it may.:oops:
This auction will be over on April 14th and includes:
A King Zephyr Baritone with neck and case. (They have it listed as Vephyr:confused:)
A "The Martin" Baritone with neck and case.
And (it looks like)
A Conn Shooting Stars Tenor.
From what I can see in the pics they’ve been remarkably well cared for in the Austin School District.( vs the poor tortured souls I've seen elsewhere i.e the MK VI) Finishes look to be in better than Fair condition and all the bids opened at $25. Local pickup only, of course.
Here’s the link to the page in case you know of anyone that may be interested and able to get there.
https://www.onlinepros.com/servlet/...&status=live&categoryName=Musical Instruments
Preview is this Thursday from 9:00 - 12:00

As it's not my auction, I asked Mr. Thomas :thumb: where best to post this. He agreed it might generate some interest and, as I'm not in a position to "invest" at this time, I'm hoping someone who knows someone here might pick up their "Dream Horn" for a pittance. :mrcool

Looks as though there are bargains to be had

Looks as though there are bargains to be had
That's why I keep watch on this auction house. Most of their clients are within 150 miles of here so inspection and pickup isn't too problematic if something truly remarkable pops up. True, that MK VI I bid on was not in good shape. It was missing the neck, a couple of posts, the F3 key and had dents and dings aplenty. There was even a receipt in the case from their service tech stating it would be better to "put this one out to pasture". But I was looking for a project horn at the time. I was more miffed it was such a big lot that I couldn't win the bid.

Still no bids on the tenor but there's usually not much action until 2 days before the end.

Well, I was quite involved with work when the auctions ended today and I did not see what the finals bids were. And sadly closed auctions are only visible to members which requires $100U.S. refundable deposit.
Last night there had finally been 2 bids on the Shooting Stars Tenor, $28, and The Martin was up to $128. The Zephyr was still $25 at the time.
Lots of snipers on that site so I wish I could have been more vigilant for the last few minutes, but duty called.

large-17459.0_1.jpg
One final update for the curious.
I found the ending prices of the two baris and the tenor, "The Martin" went for $130, the Zephyr went for $100 and the Conn tenor went for $95.

Last edited:
I want to cry. Even with a full overhaul, those are really cheap

Please don't tell me about any more auctions like this!!!

Please tell me about any more auctions like this! :)

With these prices maybe if you add up the trip itself and the overhaul it's still a bargain!
:)

They`ll have been mopped up by greedy dealers, I doubt many, if any "players" would have had bargains there . well, that`s how it seems to work in the UK anyway .

OK..... with other things anyway, Saxes of that ilk aren`t that price over here ever , even scrap ones :( .

I shan't, good sir. It was only 270 miles from my residence
The one saving grace for me personally, none of them were Grassis.
It is enough to make you want to cry! However.......we can always get you Monty to bid on our behalf and then send as a present to us................couldn't we?

The Demons Are AT IT AGAIN!
Selmers this time, sadly in a lot of 4. (They just can't seem to understand they'd make at least twice as much auctioning them individually). 3 Baris, all lowA, and a Tenor. Although one is definitely USA, I would be reluctant to speculate what the other two are as one has an enormous bell. I shan't post anything else. The picture is very grainy so it won't be as unpleasant to watch this time.
The auction is about 50 kilometers south of Houston, Texas in Alvin; in case anyone knows someone who knows someone who may have contact with person or persons who may have an interest.
The bid is currently $310 U.S., ends Oct.1 and must be removed by Oct.7th.

And to think we nearly moved to Austin last year!

I wouldn't sell my The Martin bari for less than 1200.

And to think we nearly moved to Austin last year!

I wouldn't sell my The Martin bari for less than 1200.

Well, just so you know, there are good reasons they call it "Weird Austin". Of course, I think Weird is good! A teaching gig at The University of Texas would be choice! My Junior High Band Director graduated from there and was one of the first women to make All State Band on Bari. Of course, that was in the early 60's.

No, this is a school district auction. The tenor has its neck on but none of the Baris do. I think I see the tip of one in the far lower right of the picture but could not swear to it. Could very well be a pig in a poke to bid unseen.