support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Vibrating pinky table link

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
I was wondering what would the pro repairers do to solve a squeak and slight vibration in the pinky table caused by the thin buffer pads on the links in the pinky table rubbing as one key moves in relation to another.....John

It is a bit difficult to discern exactly what you mean. If the "thin buffer pads on the links" refers to the layer of cork or other material located where the Bb touchpiece meets and presses a part below the B touchpiece to close it, then I would suggest adding a dab of cork grease to lubricate the material.

Other things than are effective in quieting a noisy pinky table include:

- removing the rollers and applying a dab pivot screw grease when you replace the rods
- straightening the keys so that they do not contact each other on the sides as they move
- making sure all of the pivot screws are tight and lubricated with pivot screw grease
- replacing any missing or worn felt on the tabs or table of the G# key that the other keys contact
- making sure the cork and/or felt at the foot of the G# key is intact

A related area of the sax are the felt bumpers that stop the upward motion of the low B and Bb pad cups. Sometimes these harden with age and contribute to the key noise. Replacing them with new fresh bumpers is an easy and effective fix.

Thanks for your reply jbtsax,yes your first assumption is correct it is exactly that,the extremely thin buffer material I'm not sure exactly what it is made of can't see it too clearly but seems it may be some sort of fabric that softens the touch as the two come together,it showed itself in a noise and feeling you would put down perhaps to a rusty coil spring being compressed and rubbing against something causing a vibration in the mechanism,it took some time to isolate it to what was actually causing the problem I first thought it needed lubrication in the various pivots and rollers but nothing seemed to stop it and then I realised it was the back of the Bb key rubbing on the buffer pad as it rotated that set up the vibration,I was a bit concerned if adding a bit of grease to lubricate might not be the ideal thing to do taking into account the material of the buffer pad but you have allayed my worries thanks......John

Back
Top Bottom