support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Vandoren V5 A20 or A25

I must admit that they are the only Vandoren mouthpieces that have never really appealed (apart from the Optimum) - I've only ever bought a Java or V16 mouthpiece. BTW what is the Barone Alto like.....?

Kind regards
Tom

I must admit that they are the only Vandoren mouthpieces that have never really appealed (apart from the Optimum) - I've only ever bought a Java or V16 mouthpiece. BTW what is the Barone Alto like.....?

Kind regards
Tom

I have Javas and V16's for both my alto and tenor as well as a metal V16 and TL4 for my tenor.
I am currently using the Phil Barone HR that came with my alto, and in fact, this morning, my teacher commented on how nice my tone is.

As for my Barone alto:
Optically it is identical to the Bauhaus Wallstein A-M2S, it even has the reinforcing brace at the bridge near the left hand pinky spatula. The only difference been the finish, resonators and key pads.

Initially I felt that something was not exactly right. It turned out there was a leek at the low b pad. I fixed that and I also sanded the lacquer of the neck tenon. Oxidation created a patina there which improved the seal.

The keywork is very fast in a very slick way, although I resorted to rising the palm keys with sugru (as per Stephen Howard's instructions) as I have large hands (I am 6'3'').

Sound wise it is slightly more spread than my teachers super action Selmer I tried this morning, and it has slightly heftier/beefier bottom end.

In all it plays and sounds good, and I think it's good value for money. On the other hand I could have been just as happy with a second hand YAS62 or Yani. My tenor's a YTS62 with a Selmer ref36 neck and I am perfectly happy with it.

Best regards
Koumou

Lovely to hear from you, dude!

I notice that Bill Lewington have some Barone Alto mps for £99 - very good price. I like Phil-Tone mouthpieces, and play the Custom Alto with FL lig and reeds on my Ref54. I am currently focussing on my Yani tenor, getting the sound I want - good fun. Do come over for a coffee when you are in the area..........!

Kind regards
Tom

Back
Top Bottom