support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Vandoren V16 Mouthpieces for Alto Sax

freddysilk

Locality
Cleveland, Ohio
Does anyone have any experience with these mouthpieces? The claim is that it can produce the vintage jazz sound of the 50's which is the sound I'm looking for.

I'm interested in having a tone like Sonny Stitt and Frank Morgan who have powerful tones but can play subtle sounds also.

The Dukoff I have has been refaced and the baffle adjusted to cut out a lot of the shrillness but I can't get past the squeaks no matter what reed/ligature combo I use so I'm curious about a hard rubber piece for alto.

The Vandoren V16 looks like a winner but I know of course, you can't believe all of the marketing hype so if anyone has ever used one on alto - let me know what you think and the sound you've produced from it.

Yup- used to have one. Good all-rounders &, like all vandoren kit, really well made. highly recommended- though didn't really seem to get along with my Mauriat (great on Yamaha or other relatively bright toned sax). Very responsive... worked well for my "I'd like to sound like johnny hodges" thing...
Does anyone have any experience with these mouthpieces? The claim is tat it can produce the vintage jazz sound of the 50 's which is the sound I'm looking for.

I'm interested in having a tone like Sonny Stitt and Frank Morgan who have powerful tones but can play subtle sounds also.

The Dukoff I have has been refaced and the baffle adjusted to cut out a lot of the shrillness but I can't get past the squeaks no matter what reed/ligature combo I use so I'm curious about a hard rubber piece for alto.

The Vandoren V16 looks like a winner but I know of course, you can't believe all of the marketing hype so if anyone has ever used one on alto - let me know what you think and the sound you've produced from it.

V16 and other mtps

I play a YAS275. The V16 A6m I have plays well with a warmish sound and responds well when pushed. I don't use it though cause I find the sound thins out above C3.

I also have a Meyer G 6. This one sounds a bit dry in the lower register, but it has a massive sound in the palm notes. Big , robust sound with very little edge. I am surprised that this is not more popular.

I know it's not very commonly used on alto, but I also have a Tone Edge 6 that I use in the house, especially when the wife is about. It has a warmer more gentle and quieter sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi There!

When I started on Alto (Selmer Ref54/Selmer Super Session/EVO Lig) I was very happy but the sound was probably a little mellower than I preferred. After researching on forums etc. I went for a V16 7m which was brilliant, and seemed to be just what I wanted - avoided brightness/mellowness but was rich, complex, and focussed, but smooth - lovely sound.

I also acquired a V16 9m which is more open and has all those qualities but to a greater extent. It has a grainier rather than smoother sound. At the same time (in the Meyer vein) my main Alto piece is the Ponzol Vintage HR which is my absolute favorite and is hand made by Peter Ponzol himself, at a price less than all the others mentioned above. It has a beautiful rich complex focused sound as part of my set up, with FL excellence reeds/FL basic Lig.

Conclusion - the V16's are excellent mouthpieces, in the original Meyer mold, though I do think that the Ponzol edges it for me personally. (There are others out there - Phil Tone, Jazz Cafe, but the price begins to move up somewhat).

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Tom,

How are you doing ?

What are you using on the Tenor now days?

Hi There!

I am still on sabbatical learning the Button free Tenor Sax (Trombone) but use the following set up:

Yani T901/Bronze Neck/Francois Louis Spectruoso ML 280/FL Basic Lig/FL Excellence reeds. The sound is really pleasing and has a richness and complexity across the range, and more body in the upper register. I just prefer Alto, it must be said (or Trombone of which I have 6). My back up mouthpiece is a Barone Metal Jazz 8.

Hope you are well
Kind regards

I did a trial yesterday of my alto sax mouthpieces, which confirmed much of what I wrote above.

Using my Selmer Ref54, an FL basic lig and FL 2.5 Excellence reed, I tried the following:
1. Peter Ponzol Vintage HR 0.85
2. V16 A7m
3. V16 A9m
4. Selmer Super Session D Facing

My preferred order was 1, 3, 4, 2.
Since playing the trombone I have much more puff and a very firm embouchure, so the SSS was more dynamic, and very good indeed.

The Ponzolwas tops, but the V16 A9m is genuinely top quality, with a quality other than graininess, as I described earlier - detail, richness, complexity are more accurate words.

Given my experiences with the V16 HR Tenor pieces (especially loved the T8) I would really recommend that you try the larger
tip openings - generally a more characterful sound than the smaller ones.

Also have to speak volumes for the FL Basic Lig - my favourite!

Good session overall.
Kind Regards

Back
Top Bottom