PPT mouthpieces

Van Morrison on Sax

Hey I was there for Maceo too! I agree he didn't play much but gave a lot of room for his band to show off their talent.
Shame I couldn't see Van Morrison though.
We can't talk about Van M and Maceo in the same breath with regard to the merits of good sax playing...

We can't talk about Van M and Maceo in the same breath with regard to the merits of good sax playing...

In fairness, I don't think @MMM was necessarily talking about missing Van's Sax playing, as much as his performing. Whatever the standard of his Sax playing, Van's pretty good at getting up on stage and doing his thing.

In fairness, I don't think @MMM was necessarily talking about missing Van's Sax playing, as much as his performing. Whatever the standard of his Sax playing, Van's pretty good at getting up on stage and doing his thing.
Ah, my bad. Knowing an ex-drummer of his though, if he fell in a ditch there'd be a queue of his band members waiting to shovel dirt on him!

Ah, my bad. Knowing an ex-drummer of his though, if he fell in a ditch there'd be a queue of his band members waiting to shovel dirt on him!

Yeah, those stories of him being a 'difficult' person, clash with his supposedly spiritual side. Takes all sorts, I guess.

I have seen plenty of criticism of Kenny G. There is nothing wrong with personal opinions about any musician or performer, whether it's Coltrane, Nicki Minaj or Tiny Tim.
Thanks Pete. I didn't realise that I'd stir up so much controversy with a single sentence. The sour milk sound is basically out of tune and with poor shaping and control of individual note envelopes.

Mr Morrison's undoubted success and longevity in the music business, like David Bowie's, is inspite of his saxophone playing and not because of it.

Regarding Kenny G, believe it or not he used to be quite hip with the soul fraternity until he went mainstream and became a figure of fun (something to do with his hair style no doubt). His sound is like Lyle's Golden Syrup, but at least he can intonate.

Thanks Pete. I didn't realise that I'd stir up so much controversy with a single sentence. The sour milk sound is basically out of tune and with poor shaping and control of individual note envelopes.

Mr Morrison's undoubted success and longevity in the music business, like David Bowie's, is inspite of his saxophone playing and not because of it.

Regarding Kenny G, believe it or not he used to be quite hip with the soul fraternity until he went mainstream and became a figure of fun (something to do with his hair style no doubt). His sound is like Lyle's Golden Syrup, but at least he can intonate.
Yes, Kenny G has been the butt of many a joke - but he’s no mug with a sax in his hands.

I like Van Morrison with or without his sax. I don't think in terms like bad or good. I like John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revivel) when he played saxes on his recordings. Guys like Morrison, Fogerty ..... are complete musicians. They can sing, write songs, play several instruments, lead a band ..... .

Yeah, those stories of him being a 'difficult' person, clash with his supposedly spiritual side...
Not sure I agree

A position of power is easily misused, no matter how it is clothed

Plenty of gurus, shamens, friars, nuns, monks, priests, pontiffs, prelates, padres, preachers, elders, evangelists, missionaries and ministers, have been found to be abusive in some way, despite their professed spirituality

I won't tell you what the band members did with his harmonicas - this is a family forum.

Not sure I agree

Plenty of gurus, shamens, friars, nuns, monks, priests, pontiffs, prelates, padres, preachers, elders, evangelists, missionaries and ministers, have been found to be abusive in some way, despite their professed spirituality

Good point, well made.

Not sure I agree

Yes, but they don't measure up with what they profess either!

Ummm.. they wouldn't have smelled too good after 'personalisation' from each band member. Any clearer?

Sounds like a rather painful way to play a practical joke, then.

Sounds like a rather painful way to play a practical joke, then.

Personally I'm not imagining full insertion...more a cheeky mimick of the more standard approach to playing the Blues Harp...Is this thread going off kilter...:eek:

Back
Top Bottom