support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Using a Reed Clipper/Cutter

Fraser Jarvis

Well here I am about two months in on using Legere Studio reeds everything's going great up until today as the first of the two reeds I bought has suddenly died, so am thinking of getting a reed clipper but does anyone know if they can be used with success on synthetic reeds?

However if it's dead , what have you to lose?
Good point will give it a go. What is regarded as a good make of reed clipper? seems there is lots to choose from.
After reading that I'm even less likely to try one. A reed that only lasts an hour is of little use to me.
No mine has lasted about two months and has suddenly gone soft, guess Legere are going to tell you not to use a reed clipper just to encourage you to buy moor reeds from them.

After reading that I'm even less likely to try one. A reed that only lasts an hour is of little use to me.
where does it say 'an hour' -
"With proper care and maintenance, your Légère reed should provide you with many hours of playing pleasure. Many players report that our reeds can last for months"

although they advise against using a reed clipper, the plastic they're made from looks tough enough to cope with being clipped, I think they're just being cautious..
It's strange that Legere's should go dead like this, they don't absorb moisture and the plastic's pretty resilient, but it seems like they only have so much life in them
A decent reed clipper would probably cost you more than a new reed and there's no guarantee that clipping the end will help - it could be something to do with the mechanical properties of the plastic that gets worn out after so many million vibrations..
:headscratch:

When I'm busking I can play for 4 hours or so if I'm skint and it's going well. I would find it a hassle to have to change the reed every hour and expensive to be carrying four of them.

These are the best clippers in my experience. Make sure you get the right one. Tenor for tenor etc.

http://www.reeds-direct.co.uk/saxophone_accessories/reedsdirect/reed-trimmer-for-saxophones-made-by-cordier/crc6.html

Last edited:
I've recently used a reed clipper on a Forestone which I bough at the end of September It survived and seems to have a renewed energy. I'd say go for it - what's to lose like you say.

Just as an update to this thread, my new Cordier reed clipper arrived in this mornings post, gave it a go on an old cane reed just to get a feel for how it worked then moved on to my synthetics that have gradually accumulated over the last few years after becoming to soft, well first to go was the Fibracell, all that happened here was that the tip of the reed bent over and returned to it's original position without actually being cut, next the Legere Studio, this time excellent results with a nice precise clean cut. Last up the Bari hard, again excellent results but the reed although now being of the right strength sounds a bit duck like/quackie? but at £16 a shot the life of the Studio's can hopefully now be doubled if not made to last even longer.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom