support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Urban Acoustics

Mack

I played my alto in an empty church recently and was blown away by the amazing sound - even just simple scales hang in the air and sound amazing. Not quite Tommy Smith "Into Silence" but getting there.

I then started looking out other great natural acoustics - the underground carpark by the Clocktower in Exeter - excellent! It also gives ashen faced Monday morning workers something to smile about (hopefully - depends on my playing I suppose..).

Does anyone know any other kinds of buildings/structures that sound great - urban guerilla sax playing should spread! Wonder if my local swimming pool would let me in 10 mins before opening...

Take a look at Mr Lucky, or taming the saxophone, there's a id of Pete playing underwater.... Sounds great!

Well, I once played in the bathroom as there are good acoustics there, but I will draw the line at taking the sax in the bath :shocked:

Having busked a few times, just playing outdoors in the high street certainly offers good acoustics with the surrounding shops etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Having busked a few times, just playing outdoors in the high street certainly offers good acoustics with the surrounding shops etc

I couldn't agree more Andy. I loved the accoustics in a busy town centre. The sound of passers by and the sax wafting on the air really gets me going.
I busk in Daventry and there are a couple of great places. One is a covered shopping area (to call it a precinct would be too posh) Any busker sounds great in there, and then there's an area where the foot path bends around a ninety degree corner giving the accustics three nice big walls to bounce off. Again I love to hear my sax there too. Now that is self indulgent! Lovely.

Under bridges, tunnels, walkways, and covered alley ways and shop fronts all are good especially with lot of glass or marble floors really gets the sound reverberating. Wide open spaces are not so great but playing on mountain tops or the floor of the grand canyon is pretty amazing too!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom