support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Teacher Wanted Tutor Required - North Staffordshire

Scruffysteve

Locality
North Staffordshire
Having come to the sax later in life I am looking for a good local tutor. I can read music but am relatively new to the sax. I have recently commenced having music theory lessons with a view to learning to improvise/play by ear, but the guy I am seeing is not a sax player.

I am aware of the 'Musicteachers' website, but would prefer a personal recommendation if possible. Because my playing is not yet of the standard where I would be confident/able to play with others, there is no-one that I know locally who I could ask.

Having self-taught the basics, I now think it time to get a good tutor before I develop any bad habits that would be difficult to get out of. Does anyone know of a reputable tutor within striking distance of me?

Thanks in anticipation of your help. Steve.

My only advice would be to go to some local jam sessions and if you see/hear a good sax player approach him/her to see if they teach or know of someone.

Good luck :)

ps Welcome to the cafe :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve!

What sort of music are you interested in playing on the sax? I have had a cursory glance at most of the sax tutors availablr in Staffs and most seem to be female with a classical music bias. None particularly stuck out and it may be that you either go down the word of mouth route, or give a few of the registered tutors a ring to see if any of them seem on the right wavelength. Nearly all my music teachers have been about half my age, and it has been a very good experience, but finding someone who is in tune with you is always the most important thing in my experience!

Regards
Tom

Hi guys, thanks for the input. I am going to learn to improvise on the sax, but I need to improve my basic skills first. I will put the word out but, if I don't get a referral, I will contact the classical tutors as at least my basic technique will be put on the right lines.

To improvise just learn a couple of Major & Minor Pentatonic scales and play the notes in any order you want - simples!

Major Pentatonic Scale of C is C D E G A C
Minor Pentatonic Scale of C is C Eb F G Bb C

Jimi Hendrix mainly played Pentatonc Scales on his guitar solos!

Hi

If you're north Staffs (Newcastle / Madeley / Hanley etc) might be worth looking at south Cheshire and north Shropshire? My tutor is in Shrewsbury, but there are others round and about.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've just discovered the ABRSM Jazz grades - I don't remember them being around when I were a lad! Anyway, sounds like the ticket, so grade 1 on order. I will still use a tutor but it looks like this will help me in the direction I want my playing to go.

I did them for Alto Sax, Trumpet &Trombone. Very well laid out and some decent pieces too. I did find a tutor pretty helpful to be fair but not always easy to come by. Feel free to PM me if you have any issues you want to check out.

Kind regards
Tom