PPT mouthpieces

Transcribing from Tenor to Alto

visionari1

:mrcoolI'm working on playing So What from the classic "Kind of Blue" album.

I downloaded a transcription of John Coltrane's solo from this site (which is terriffic, by the way, you can even get it translated into english!)http://chnani.club.fr/ejma/ejrelev.html

Now my question. I know I have to go down 5 semi tones. It's already in the key of D (two #'s)
Do I need to change the key also and if so, to what!

Gee it's really exciting starting to play along with the masters.

Any help greatfully received.

Cheers & Ciao

Jimu:mrcool

Yep, easy to remember rule is that you add another sharp (or remove a flat) to transpose to Eb from Bb.

use below as your starting point and remember that Bb has 2 more sharps than concert (or 2 fewer flats if it's in one of those keys) and Eb has 3 more sharps (or fewer flats). So...

Key of C for Concert = D on Bb instruments (F# C#) = A on Eb instruments (F# C# G#)

Yep, easy to remember rule is that you add another sharp (or remove a flat) to transpose to Eb from Bb.

use below as your starting point and remember that Bb has 2 more sharps than concert (or 2 fewer flats if it's in one of those keys) and Eb has 3 more sharps (or fewer flats). So...

Key of C for Concert = D on Bb instruments (F# C#) = A on Eb instruments (F# C# G#)

Thanks Phil so that puts my key of D into A (with 3 sharps)

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu:sax:

I've just had a look at that sight. They have the alto version there too (don't they?)

G'day Nick,
They do right at the bottom, but it's the Eb version for Miles's solo.

I'm learning all the solo's in So What. It starts with Miles, then Coltrane, ending with Cannonball.
Such a fantastic tune although the saxes are fair flying at times.......I'll get there!

Ps I got the Cannonball transcription off this site http://www.geocities.com/farrell_vernon/sax_transc_menu.htm
Cheers & Ciao
Jimu

Cheers
Jimu

:mrcoolI'm working on playing So What from the classic "Kind of Blue" album.

I downloaded a transcription of John Coltrane's solo from this site (which is terriffic, by the way, you can even get it translated into english!)http://chnani.club.fr/ejma/ejrelev.html

Now my question. I know I have to go down 5 semi tones. It's already in the key of D (two #'s)
Do I need to change the key also and if so, to what!

Gee it's really exciting starting to play along with the masters.

Any help greatfully received.

Cheers & Ciao

Jimu:mrcool

You do want to change the key signature to A major (3 sharps) if for no other reason than to avoid extraneous accidentals for C#.

In reality, you want to do it for your thought process. Just saying "A major" represents "A B C# D E F# G# A" -- if you are well practiced on your scales, you don't have to think about it. Therefore, you only have to worry about the notes that are altered from the major scale. Its a mental practice called "grouping" where a concept is defined by a simple term.

I hope this helped.

I met someone at a gig last night who asked me for sheet music to the tune 'The Midnighter' by The Champs. I can write down the notes for tenor sax OK but they play an alto so want it written for alto. Can anyone let me know what I need to do to each note so it is right for the alto sax? Thanks all.

Drop each note by 5 semitones i.e. C in the tenor part becomes a G. In fact you might want to lift it up an octave, but either way a C becomes a G, work from there and you'll be OK.

You'll find that the key signature will have one more sharp, or one less flat.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Or just plonk the lot into Finale Notepad then you can transpose at will into any key you want. If they download it, (free) it can even play the tune back to them, albeit in a slightly stilted fashion.

It's not often that you are wrong Jon but this time YOU ARE! :)
Notepad is no longer free but available for a pittance. They do offer Reader, which displays Finale files and plays them.
Of course Finale PrintMusic is available from Jazzwise which earns Pete's charities a bit of loot.

Cobblers, Bill. :D(Used that word instead of an alternative, one of the oldest in the English language, in deferance to the family nature of this forum).

Actually, you're sort of right. Notepad 2009 costs the princely sum of $9.95, or just over a fiver, and you can't get any free versions other than a 30 day demo from Finale's website. However, there're plenty of suppliers of freeware from which you can download Notepad 2007 perfectly legally, and for free.

Cobblers, Bill. :D(Used that word instead of an alternative, one of the oldest in the English language, in deferance to the family nature of this forum).

Actually, you're sort of right. Notepad 2009 costs the princely sum of $9.95, or just over a fiver, and you can't get any free versions other than a 30 day demo from Finale's website. However, there're plenty of suppliers of freeware from which you can download Notepad 2007 perfectly legally, and for free.

I did say a pittance, Jon. However, I forgive you and as you pass Wednesday night wending your homeward way, drop in and clean my boots with your tongue. For once, I'm feeling strangely generous. ;} ;}