support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Top Teeth! (Again)

Flicked through that video, his driving isn't the worst thing on it and his facial growth isn't the most ridiculous.

Flicked through that video, his driving isn't the worst thing on it and his facial growth isn't the most ridiculous.
He is a very good Saxophonist,. I just like to get the information on video's can't be bothered with the extras, maybe I'm just a miserable old fart

If there's any useful information in it. There's no way I'm going to sit through the whole of that.
It just watched it until the reed bit came in at around 3 minutes I think, I'm not watching it again to find out,. I doubt it would be of any use to anyone of your experience but you never know

So mouthpiece position. There's one? Not hardly. If you can keep it in tune in different positions and these positions have a different feel, then position is defined by the feel. One piece may prefer pushing in a little. Another piece may prefer a little pulled out.

I pull out a couple of millimetres for any thing in F and a couple more if it's a romantic ballad. Some frenetic bebop with a lot of palm keys and I'm pushing in a couple. It's not for the faint hearted. Sometimes my ear lies to me and I push in when I should have pulled out.

Sunny days, playing loud and long sessions play havoc with it all.

Whenever I look anything up, I always am sorry to see the answer on video, as they are often really poorly done and not focused. However, I caught the reed in mouth segment, I'll consider that tomorrow. I am more and more thinking, "Just play!".

Also, we all have too many mouthpieces.

Ok, I'm going to say it and then sit down and shut up. There is so much information from so many "self appointed" experts on the internet that it is no wonder those just learning to play become confused with information overload. Find someone you respect as an authority whether it is a teacher, a book, or a video and follow their advice. But above all stop looking for more information until you have mastered the fundamentals taught by that expert. Rant over, stepping off soapbox. :)

Isn't this why we beginners come here?

I will say one thing that's funny. I only took a few lessons on guitar, and that was after playing for years. One was from a teacher recommended to me, and I cancelled after the first lesson as he didn't have anything to teach me. The other was with Ted Greene who I've mentioned numerous times here. I was not able to continue with Ted, a legend even in his lifetime as well as now, because I found a job that week. Ted was so gracious that in one of his final interviews (PDF), he mentioned me. It's probably the greatest tribute of my career.

So, I could have approached this with no guidance, looked at a few things on the Internet, and started producing music on my own. The route I chose was to be exposed to every possible thing from Earl Bostic to BeatBox Sax. From tight embouchure to relaxed. From constant growl to sweet tone. By the way, even in the early days, my mouth and jaws never tired. I can play four hours with no strain or fatigue. How tight could my embouchure be?

I realize this dialog is getting tiresome for some, but there's no law or forum rule that says you must read new posts. On the contrary, there is an "Unwatch" feature and an "Ignore", which I have used on two individuals in the past. I do understand and appreciate that the givers of advice do this out of generosity and I read every post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize this dialog is getting tiresome for some, but there's no law or forum rule that says you must read new posts. On the contrary, there is an "Unwatch" feature and an "Ignore", which I have used on two individuals in the past. I do understand and appreciate that the givers of advice do this out of generosity and I read every post.

Sorry, I lost track somehow.
What exactly is your problem?

If you can play 4 hours without getting tired there should be nothing wrong :)

I post too much when I get on these jags. Just today I went from considering what I'm playing as totally worthless to in tune and sounding good in an hour.
At the time, the mouthpiece was pretty high up, so that may be the answer. I'm trying to settle into a routine where I'm comfortable with the tuning and embouchure. It may come soon!

It will never come. I don't know a saxophone player who is completely happy with the technical aspect of anything they play. We can always do better seems to be the consensus. Don't let it spoil your enjoyment though. We are where we are. We are who we are. Quoting Popeye the sailor man "I am what I am and that's all I am" Profound or pathetic?

A former coach of mine called it "Micro-Managing", when I was concerned about tongue position, support and thing like that.
Although these are important things, you cannot simply look at just one aspect of playing.
You can have a beautiful tone despite you are doing horrible things to your body (from a technical standpoint).

We are playing with our whole body, and this includes what we unluckily separate - our mind.

This former coach once had a neighbor who is a well known tenorplayer, Bennie Wallace.
They played together, and my coach complained about his tone and if he should do this or that with his embouchure or even change mouthpiece. Bennie replied something like: There's nothing wrong with it, it's your knees....

I should just assume my blues and rock guitar stance and just play. I was probably better off months ago than I am now!