support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax Too soon to buy a vintage horn or carry on with YAS23

As I would suspect being 1922 it has no aux F key. The frosted plate finish seems to be in good condition.

It has the old style round pearl G# rather than the later (more ergonomic) plate and rollers.

You can see the extra top F key and more modern G# (+ B,Bb, C# "pinky" cluster) here:

Awesome video, thank you for the link. It is in great condition, the rose gold inlay inside the bell is almost pristine. It could use a strip down and polish to get it back to its best but it is a great looking sax.

Back to the question, you say it will prove more difficult to learn altissimo, I do want to learn to play in that range one day. So it would be harder on this saxophone than more modern ones. That's a consideration for me. Not a deal breaker though.

Thank you.

Regards,
Cup

Otherwise I am just loving this alto, it feels alive when I play, it just glides around the music and feels like it wants to be unleashed. Just played for an hour and a half, the longest session I've had to date and it felt like no time at all, aside from my lips turning to jelly.

Doesn't that make up your mind for you?

Sax looks nice, by the way, looks just like mine.

Agree with what's been said above.

Good to keep in mind that getting your head around the tuning on a modern horn such as a student Yamaha or Yani is a lot more straight forward and a great deal easier than that of a lot* of vintage saxes. Just to bear in mind

Good to keep in mind that getting your head around the tuning on a modern horn such as a student Yamaha or Yani is a lot more straight forward and a great deal easier than that of a lot* of vintage saxes. Just to bear in mind

Especially if you want to use modern mouthpieces.

I have no problems with the tuning on my True Tone, and modern mouthpieces are fine (except, sadly, the PPT)

I was actual playing around with the tuner during yesterday's long session. I found I was able to easily tune in the lower register, with the upper register being a little flat, but closer than on the YAS I had before. This might just be that it's been a while since I played with the tuner though.

Sadly, the voice of reason and purse strings has spoken, it has been said that when the YAS is finished in the shop, the Beuscher goes back to its owner, and I carry on playing the Yamaha. I make this sound horrible, like a fully serviced YAS 23 is a chore to play. It's really not, and they do sound pretty good. However as we are saving for our first home, and our wedding, it's probably the most sensible choice.

Thank you all for your advice, I will be much more heavily armed with knowledge when I can buy my first saxophone, the chance to play such a lovely saxophone so early in my development has inspired me to keep pushing on, and highlighted just how important tone and control is to get the best out of any horn.

Regards,
Cup

Back to the question, you say it will prove more difficult to learn altissimo, I do want to learn to play in that range one day. So it would be harder on this saxophone than more modern ones. That's a consideration for me. Not a deal breaker though.

The pictures you posted are proof in my humble opinion that this is a fine example of a horn from that era. I have an old Martin (1923) that looks very similar. So in the end, the question is about your budget.

As I see it, with my experience of a few years now, this vintage may be just what you need for the next couple of years. Then if you want to go to a more advanced level of playing, being altissimo or faster, more efficient playing, a modern saxophone will probably be required. But there are affordable ones in that category too.

Ask you tutor for advice. He will see and feel this Buescher and tell you how far it can take you.

It is listed for sale at $3000 (AUD), which was the value given by the chap who serviced it. It is in great condition, it's a 1922 with silver plating and rose gold in lay around the bell. The owner found it at a garage sale and has refurbished it and rebuilt it back to its full and playable glory.

The bottom line is that I could get it for quite a bit less then that, as its on sale by one of my closest friends and it's been listed for some time with quite a bit of interest but no takers, probably due to the price. However I haven't had that discussion with the owner just yet, but she has hinted that she would accept quite a bit less then that from me.

I should also mention that the YAS I am borrowing has no pressure to return it and no expectation to buy it. The view is that I don't need to buy a saxophone yet.

Regards,
Cup

It is listed for sale at $3000 (AUD), which was the value given by the chap who serviced it.

Gee! That's a lot of money... Even in AUD. :p Sorry, don't mean to be disrespectful. The YAS-23 is a good beast and a reliable on too. Ask one of our expert members here. I bought one recently for less than 300€ and it's in perfect playing condition, although it has a minor cosmetic issues.

I'd think twice before spending too much on a vintage horn, unless you're sure of what you want!

I made some mistakes, but much cheaper ones!

Yeah, it is a lot. That is the issue.
My teacher and service technician have only had glowing reports about the YAS 23, and the horn I have in particular, it has no dings and the lacquer is almost perfect for a 30ish year old horn.

I have just fallen in love with the silver plate, and the mellow sound.

Regards,
Cup

I just looked at sold listings on ebay, and it seems that the price asked for this True Tone is beyond what is reasonable. If you are set on a TT, keep an eye out for them. They turn up regularly, and some of them will be in good playable condition. In the meantime, enjoy your borrowed Yamaha. You could do worse.

From the posts we've seen, it seems prices are higher in Oz than Europe and the USA. This seems to confirm it. Also you shouldn't be paying dealer prices on private sales.

Probably a good thing your head is winning, but I guess in a few years when the Yamaha goes back and there's no money to replace it, both head and heart will be sorry. Ears too.

I think from here I need to first see my teacher tomorrow and get his opinion. Also chat with the owner and talk about a solid price for the horn. Then go from there really.

Also I will be in the UK at Christmas, I could always pick up a horn on my travels :)

Back
Top Bottom